Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

conseqences of missing bypass plug in two line oil tank system??

Options
Dede
Dede Member Posts: 1
Had a Thermo Pride (OL5-85) installed in Oct 2003.  Was surprised it wasn't a vast improvement over my previous 80 year old furnace and over the years complained here and there.

The furnace wouldn't start a few days ago and my technician said the fuel wasn't being delivered, ordered a new pump, came back to install, then informs me with shock and surprise that the bypass plug had never been installed!  He was shocked that the furnace had ever even worked!  He did not replace the pump just put the plug in and furnace working fine now.

So my question is this:  did the missing bypass plug compromise the furnace operation and if so, how?  I want to be knowledgable when I speak with the company that supplied the furnace and installation!  Thank you for any information.

Comments

• Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Options
    Other than

the furnace going off on reset , nothing major happened to the system . It's almost like the oil filter getting clogged and starving the pump or running out of oil . Both happen quite often .

Where was the oil tank ? We've come across a few 2 pipe pumps with a missing bypass . They'll run and run well if the oil flows by gravity or has a slight lift .
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    If

it's been running without a bypass plug,then it doesn't need a 2 pipe system at all. 
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
This discussion has been closed.