Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Boiler with outdoor reset

Fedpro
Fedpro Member Posts: 8
I just had a Burnham MPO-IQ 147 with outdoor reset installed yesterday along with a Super Stor indirect water tank.  The house has three zones and a fourth priority circulator for the water tank.  I was told that in warmer weather the boiler would get to around 140 deg. and the colder it gets, the warmer the boiler temp up to around 180 or so. 

Today the outside temp is hovering around 15 to 18 degrees and so far the boiler has not gone above 155 degrees.  Also, no matter what temperature I set the thermostats in the three zones, the house temperature will not go above 65 degrees.  Just to see, I put them all up to 80 degrees, the circulators constantly ran but the temperature never rose above 65 degree.   We're using setback thermostats in two zones and the third area, which we use only occasionally, has a round Honeywell thermostat. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    You can either use

setback thermostats or ODR but not both. The ODR is going to modulate the water temp down making recovery from deep setbacks very long or impossible. The curve needs to be shiftet a bit if you can't maintain a given indoor temp. What type of ODR control? Burnham IQ?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Fedpro
    Burnham ODR

Yes, it the Burnham IQ outdoor reset.  So if I can't use a setback thermostat, what do I do, keep it on a constant temp?  Why won't the boiler water temp go above 155 degrees despite the outside temperature in the mid teens?  And why won't the house temp go above 65 or 66 degrees?
  • Robert O'Brien
    Curve

You need to move the curve,the ratio of boiler temp vs outside temp. The link attached is for a HW AquaReset,same as the IQ system to the best of my knowledge

http://site.hitechheat.com/Honeywell/OutdoorresetLit.pdf
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Fedpro
    Will damage result

I'm just a homeowner who had this boiler installed over the past couple of days.  The weekend is here and I want to know if I'm going to incur any damage to the boiler the way it's running.  The boiler temperature gets down to about 115 degrees before the thing kicks on and after it finishes firing the temp goes to about 155 but just now it went only to about 135.  Will this be ok for a couple of days until I can get the installer back?
  • Robert O'Brien
    It's fine

You may want to read the manual and learn how to program this yourself,it's not difficult and will allow you to really dial it in
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    Indoor Set point

It may just need a indoor set point adjustment ... It may be set for 65* ... Read the owners manual
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    I forget ................

Does the MPO IQ have a boost function ? Installed 3 or 4 so far so I should know already ......
  • Fedpro
    Curve adjustment

I don't believe there is a "boost" function for the consumer.  The service tech came and apparently the problem was that referred to by Robert O'brien above, i.e. adjustment of the boiler temp/outside temp curve.  Everything appears to work as it should.  
This discussion has been closed.