Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

considering buderus

Katsen
Katsen Member Posts: 4
I am looking at replacing a very old, inefficient boiler in my 1932 home.  The house is 4620 sq ft with the original windows,34 radiators and 5 bathrooms.  I have been advised to get the Buderus 5 SEC Oil fired Boiler w/ Reillo Burner Model G115/B34, the Buderus Logomatic Control Model BUDLogo, Buderus 40 gallon Indirect Water Heater Model ST 150, 2 zone Piping Kit Model 2 , & 5" Flue.  My question(s):  I can't seem to find any info on the G115/B34 only the G115/WS - what are the differences?  Based on the info I provided does this seem to fit our needs?  Because of the number of baths we have is a 40 gallon water heater large enough?  As you can probably tell I know absolutely nothing about these things and want to make sure before we proceed that I research as much as possible.  I welcome any comments.

Comments

• maineheat
    maineheat Member Posts: 4
    Buderus G115

The Buderus G115 is an excellent choice for a boiler.  I have never heard of the Riello model number that you have posted.  I think they may be mixed up with the boiler model number.  The Buderus boiler is a G115 with 5 cast iron sections.  The Riello model number would be something like 40 series BF3 or BF5 if it is direct vent.  If the boiler will be vented into an existing chimney the model numbers will most likely be 40 series F3 or F5.  Hope this helps. 
  • Katsen
    considering buderus

Thank you for your reply.  What do you think for the size of the water heater? Should I get a larger one?
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Buderus

The G115/34 was discontinued and replaced by the G115WS/5. Same exact boiler with cosmetic differences
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • maineheat
    maineheat Member Posts: 4
    Buderus G115

Sorry, Katsen.  Robert is quite right.  I have only seen and worked on Buderus Logano G115WS boilers.  I was not aware of the B34 or 34 if you will.  Since, as Robert has pointed out, the model number that whoever recommended this to you is old, are they prepared to do the job for you.  As far as the 40 gallon tank,  it will depend on your usage.  How many people will be using the hot water, do you have jacuzzi tubs?  Are there 5 people taking 5 showers at the same time in the morning/night?  A 40 gallon tank is pretty standard, even in the larger homes in my area, but a bigger one can be installed depending on the expected usage.  These would be things to discuss with your heating professional and the sales rep that should accompany him.  You have chosen an excellent system. 
  • Katsen
    considering buderus

Really appreciate the input.  I'm assuming since the B34 is a discontinued model and the differences are only cosmetic than the newer model that the cost would be less.  Should I be concerned with an older model or request the newer one?  Since I do not anticipate too many showers going on at once (although I do have 2 teenagers) the 40 gal is probably suitable.
  • Robert O'Brien
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Buderus burner choice

The Beckett NX is by far a better performer in the G115 series
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    I have to disagree with Robert on this one.

I am close to a thousand, on the number of Buderus oil boilers that I have installed, and I always use the Riello.  The Riello burner is a positive pressure burner from Europe.  It was designed specifically for these types of high restriction 3-pass boilers from Europe.  I have used the Beckett NX on a few occassions and have been disappointed each time.

Sorry Robert.  Just another man's opinion.

One note, what state are you in?  The 115/5 would never work for 4600 sq ft up here in Maine.  Have you had a heat loss done on the structure?

Good Luck.
  • Robert O'Brien
    edited February 2011
    ME Plumber

LI, NY. One thousand G115's would be one every work day for the last 5.5 years!!! Are you aware that the NX in fact, has a higher static pressure than the Riello? It's by far quieter, we set them up with 5 secs of postpurge and the difference at ATU time is quite noticeable,not an easy option with Riello. Unlike Riello,the OEM specs for the NX actually work! Every Riello requires a nozzle change and some turbulator/ shutter adjustment to get it to light so the real dialing in can begin. I like Riello and use them in Buderus when the customer requests one and they work just fine,just not as good as the NX in this particular boiler.

http://www.mpbn.net/Home/tabid/36/ctl/ViewItem/mid/3478/ItemId/11653/Default.aspx

Real low heat loss houses can,and should be built in ME!
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    What Constitutes Better?

The Riello requires the nozzle change to work correctly in the Buderus, once that's done it's fine. The NX runs quieter than the Riello, hands down. The post purge option of the NX results in cleaner operation and better efficiency. Some people prefer Riello, some Beckett, but either way they both work on the G115, which I like. Take your pick but the Buderus is a quality piece of equipment, I have one in my own home (had a Riello running the NX now) and will install one in my brothers home shortly.
  • Katsen
    considering buderus

Thanks everyone for your info.  I live in Connecticut.  You say the G115/5 would not cut it in Maine.  CT can be just as bad.  Which unit should I consider having installed?
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Or 2 a week since 2000. That would work too.

I haven't added the numbers up.  We have been doing Buderus for over 10 years.  We average 2 to 3 a week during heating system build-up and summer change outs.  What I was getting at was that I have installed more of these than I can count.  And personally I strongly prefer the Riello on the G115's.  the 215's and 315's are a different story.  My Apologies.

I didn't mean to offend you Robert.  I was just offering a differing opinion.

As to your question, Katsen.  That would depend on your heat loss.  Insist that your potential contractors do an accurate heat loss.  Especially since you have the original windows.  Some will try to size the new boiler by the old one.  Bad Idea.  Some will do a radiation survey.  Insist on a heat loss calculation.  It is required on each change out in the State of Maine.  I am not sure about Connecticut.

That will ensure that you have the correct boiler.
  • Robert O'Brien
    meplumber

I'm not offended. I spelled out the reasons I prefer the NX in the 115, any reason besides personal preference you think the Riello is better in this application?
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    My thoughts on burners

Meplumber and Mr. O'Brien The best burner is the one that is familiar to the local techs and has parts in the majority of the wholesalers. I have always associated riello with buderus as that is the the most common stocked package in my area.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.