Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing oil fired with Mod/.con

Eric L._2
Eric L._2 Member Posts: 94
I am thinking of replacing an oil fired Dunkirk with a TT Solo 110. My question is will the steel piping already there be a problem for a boiler with such low water volume? I think the main feed lines are 2 inch and from there all the rads are fed by 1 inch branches to cast iron rads. It seems to me that's a lot of water volume just in the piping. Am I wrong in my thinking?

The house is double brick construction, fiberglass insulated walls and roof , older double pane vinyl windows. its about 2100 square feet first and second floor with a finished basement about 800 square feet.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Backwards!

On the previous post you have an oil fired cast iron boiler on what is probably a converted gravity system without  P/S or a LLH and now you're concerned about a condensing boiler? The TT can handle any temp return water you care to throw at it,a non condensing boiler can't!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Eric L._2
    edited January 2011
    Two different properties

Two different properties , sorry for the  confusion.

I want to convert this property to gas using a TT solo 110.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    I know

it's two different jobs! I find it ironic that you're concerned about water temps with a mod/con and not a CI boiler! That is what I meant. Again,I would use P/S with a TT 110 and a high volume system,the primary pump is already there all set to go!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    TT PS110

I have a TT PE110 Prestige Excellence ( same boiler as TT PS110 but PE110 has built in 14 gallon SS indirect water heater for domestic hot water) boiler installed in my house. I did primary secondary piping with 1" primary going into  1 1/4" secondary up into 2" main supply and return with 1" pipe going into radiators. outdoor reset control only sends out what water temp is needed depending on outdoor temp. System works great. first winter heat and hot water for one year $975 if I left old oil boiler in with domestic coil in it would have cost me $2100 for oil. I get enough domestic hot water using 1.6 GPM Alsons shower heads to run two showers at one time.
  • Eric L._2
    SO I take it then that

the water volume in the feed pipes won't be much if any problem?
This discussion has been closed.