Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Viessmann DHW sensor & Superstor Contender

Options
So, I just went out and got the DHW temp sensor that Viessmann recommends for all indirect DHW systems with their boilers.  Upon my return I removed

the factory installed aquastat on my Superstor Contender only to find that it appears to be a

sensor that bolts onto the lower outside wall of the tank.  There

does not appear to be a dry well in my Superstor Contender in which I can slip the sensor into.  Am I

overlooking something? How should I proceed in properly installing this necessary sensor???

Comments

• RobbieDo
    RobbieDo Member Posts: 131
    Options
    DHW

I don't install Superstor HWH for boilers, install different brands. What have in the picture is a sensor for a electric DHWH and the sensor is on the back side of it. What did you take out of the old one?
    Rob
  • jswampler
    jswampler Member Posts: 8
    Options
    DHW

that sensor came off of the indirect hot water heater i have.  it is piped to a Viessmann 200.  The guys at the supply house set me up with all the components i supposedly need and said that this tank would work.  That being said it is piped in.  I guess I need help retrofitting it for the sensor....any suggestions?
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    Options
    DHW Sensor

Take some silver tape and tape the sensor to the side of the tank. Make sure it's covered by insulation when your done. Adjust the Vitotronic control accordingly.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    That's About All You Can Do

Will not be as effective as getting into the heart of the tank though. Your going to have to boost the boiler from 165 to 176 and get that tank water temp up to 140. Then you will have to install a thermostatic mixing valve on the domestic out.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • jswampler
    jswampler Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Talked with Viessmann

So I called up Viessmann, to inquire as to the appropriate thing to do.  The man on the phone told me that I need to wire the surface mounted aquastat supplied with the Contender to a relay.  The relay in turn is wired to and powers the DHW circ pump.  The relay is then dry contacted to plug 143 (external demand) on the power pump module.   I can then during start up fiddle with address 34 and set the options accordingly.  Does that make sense?  I forgot to ask him what on the relay I would wire the aquastat too.  I assume it gets wired to the TT option.  Does that sound right?  Also I am wondering if i used a Taco SR501 if my dry contact would be the isolated end switch??
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited February 2011
    Options
    He Gave You a Way Out

I would only do it as a last resort. What he didn't tell you is that you are going to be giving up all DHW functions that the boiler control can do for you. Did he also tell you that you need to code the boiler as a system with no DHW and that you need to make coding changes via page 66 of the manual I posted previously?  

Your basically treating the indirect as a heating zone. Mom (the boiler) now turns into a child when you use external demand. You now have to tell the child what to do.

I would strap the sensor to the tank and then make adjustments as needed through the control and play with it before I would take the boiler control out of the equation in the DHW aspect.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
This discussion has been closed.