Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vitodens 200 W2BW / Superstor Contender

I have a Vitodens 200 W2BW and have plumbed in a Superstor Contender indirect water heater.  I need to wire the aquastat and am a little unsure as to how to go about it.  I connected the circ pump for the DHW to plug 21 on the Viessman pump module, so I am at least on my way to having hot water.  Could anyone clue me in as to how to go about it? 

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Go to the Supply House

You need to go to your supply house and get a Viessmann DHW Sensor and take off the aquastat on the indirect. You then need to plug the sensor into the boiler control module. See page 53 of the attached.. Did you pipe that indirect on the boiler side of the low loss header and sized the pump to get through the indirect and boiler head? Is the DHW pump on the return side of the indirect pumping into the boiler return ahead of the boiler pump?
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • jswampler
    jswampler Member Posts: 8
    System layout 6

We followed system layout 6 in the manual (pg 35.)  That should answer your questions.  I also attached some photos of our layout.  The indirect is on the boiler side and the pump is on the return DHW tank and pumping into the return.  As far as if its ahead of the boiler pump, only the pictures can answer that because I am not sure.  Take a look at the layout and let me know what you think.

As far as the aquastat....is it essentially the same sensor that I installed into the low loss header?  Do you happen to know how long the cord is?  I have no disconnected an aquastat before is it fairly straight forward? 

Essentially I have never done any of this before.  I bought a house in May and since have installed all new wiring, plumbing, insulation, drywall, windows, doors, learning every step of the way.  Any help or tips anyone can provide that might make this or any job go smoother is more than appreciated. 
  • CMadatMe
    Sensor

Part number for it is 7179 114 and yes it's like the LLH sensor but different plug end and it's needed.

Exp Tank and feed should be on the boiler side of the LLH feeding into the return of the boiler before both the domestic and boiler pump as shown in the diagram you are usig. Best I can tell from the pics is that the indirect is piped correctly
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • jswampler
    looking for aquastat well

Chris,

I just went out and got the DHW temp sensor.  Upon my return I removed the factory installed aquastat only to find that it appears to be a sensor that presses against the lower outside wall of the tank.  There does not appear to be a dry well in my Superstor Contender.  Am I overlooking something? How should I proceed?
  • jswampler
    EX tank

As a side note, were you saying that it appears the ex tank and feed line are on the wrong side of the LLH??  Hmm, troublesome,  I wasn't sure about that from the start.  So the cold water and Exp tank should be on the boiler side of the LLH but have to run through both the boiler and DHW pumps before hitting the boiler?
  • CMadatMe
    Exp Tank/Feed

Yes the feed and exp tank should be installed before the boiler and domestic pump. At that point you are pumping away from the point of no pressure change.
  • ABSolar
    ABSolar Member Posts: 41
    pumping away

Pardon me guys, but it appears to me that the expansion tank ties into the system on the right side of the hydraulic separation chamber, so the nearest affected pump(s) are those zone pumps pushing upstairs.  Isn't that pumping away? 
  • CMadatMe
    Expansion Tank

The expansion tank and feed are in the wrong spot as is the unnecessary spriovent. Should be on the boiler side of the LLH before the boiler pump on the return.
This discussion has been closed.