Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Piping For A Wood Boiler

Rich Davis_2
Rich Davis_2 Member Posts: 117
I'm piping in a TT solo 60 boiler, direct piping for a single zone, I want to sweat in some T's for the future if I would add a wood boiler.  My question its where to put in the T's.  They would be capped off , I'm thinking one in the supply and the other in the return pretty close to the boiler.  Any other suggestions. Thanks

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Why?

I have to ask but why would you add a wood boiler to a boiler that can give you 95% efficiency? Piping would be on the supply side of the secondary circuit.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • JohnnyCB
    JohnnyCB Member Posts: 25
    I've thought...

...about this conceptually from the standpoint of having redundancy in case there's a problem with the main gas utility I could switch to wood for a while.

I could be totally wrong, but couldn't you also make a two-stub manifold on the send/return sides of the primary loop above the closely spaced tees/low-loss manifold and isolate the currently "unused" boiler with ball vales?  (Assuming each boiler had it's own primary circulator)

-John
  • Rich Davis_2
    Rich Davis_2 Member Posts: 117
    Just In Case

Who knows whats down the road, just want to have all bases covered.  I'm piping it direct, not P/S.  I'm going to have ball valves to isolate the TT.  I guess I kinda answered my own question I'll put the T's  just after the boiler isolation valves.  I'll probable never use an outside boiler but, its easier to install the T's from the start. So if needed, they are there. Thanks for the replies
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    wood tie in

I would install the T's in the return line before the gas boiler so that it preheats the water - that way the wood boiler preheats the water and keeps the gas boiler off. When you run out of wood the gas boiler kicks in.
This discussion has been closed.