Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

replaced leaking relief valve new one started to leak

gobruins617
gobruins617 Member Posts: 1
hello thanks for reading my post and responding with help

first off i replaced a 30psi water relief valve on a boiler and a week later the new valve is leaking just as much as the old valve about 2 1/2 gals a day ??????? what could be causing the new valve to be leaking?????

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    The

same thing that caused the old one to leak! The leak is usually a symptom and not the disease
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    relief valve

how much pressure do you have in your system.what is the condition of your expansion tank.you should call someone to look at this.
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    new safety valve

It has to be one of three things that are building pressure in your boiler: The expansion tank, the auto fill or if you have a tankless, there could be a hole in it.

Check the expansion tank first. You check the other two by shutting off the water supply to the boiler and tankless for a few hours or all day if you can. IF no pressure builds, its the expansion tank.....don't forget to turn the water back on after testing and don't leave the boiler unattended with the water off.

Good luck
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Leaking relief valve:

That's not how I would check it.

If you have an Extrol type bladder tank, it may be shot. Turn off the fill valve to the boiler. put a hose on the boiler and into a 5 gallon bucket. Open the drain. When the pressure reaches zero, take a tire pressure guage and unscrew the cap on the schrader valve on the tank. Check the pressure. If it isn't 12# or more, it should be. If the tank reads zero, replace the tank. If it is less than 10# but more than 5#, you can try pumping air into the tank. Do it when the boiler gauge reads zero. If it is 5# and an old tank, replace the tank. If it is a cold start boiler, and you have a lot of radiators, use an Amtrol #60 or equal. The symptoms you describe sound to me like a failed bladder tank.

If it has no air pressure in it and is full of water, be very careful taking it down. It is very heavy and will drop like a stone. I usually tie a 5 gallon bucket under the tank and let it drop into the bucket.
This discussion has been closed.