Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

replace boiler before renovation or let it live its life?

jonny88
jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
i am doing a complete renovation on my house soon.existing american standard boiler 35yr about 35 yr old is in basement.the only way out when she dies will be through the renovated 1st floor.my gut is saying change it now,i have experience on gas boilers only,what would you do and any recomendations for a good oil boiler.thanks in advance

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Replace boiler:

Replace it now. If you run out of money, you will scrimp on something else. The boiler upgrade will pay for itself. The fancy tile will not.

Replace the boiler.
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Agree with Ice

My main job is replacing boilers . And one thing that makes the job pretty difficult is removing a boiler in a finished basement through a finished main floor . I'll bet that old AS will need to be split too . Can get very sooty . We use power handtrucks sometimes to haul the boiler out in one piece . But that's tricky too .............  all that weight can crack tiles , separate staircases , and possibly bang into walls cause you need extra room to turn .  
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    liked the fancy tile analogy

makes sense to me,just wanted to make sure,we deal with burnham and weilmc lein gas boilers a lot how are there oil boilers or should i look at a different make.i do like burnham

i hope the winter has been good for you all so far and again thanks for the replies
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Ron what hand carts

do you use? I am trying to get the old man to splurge on one but we can not find a real one to see. They all want us to believe their video on the internet.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    and I agree with the boiler now

For all the reasons listed. No one likes breaking new tile with an old boiler.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Charlie

For lighter boilers we use a regular handtruck with stair wheels and dolly function on the back . We have the PowerMate for heavier boilers . That handtruck is real heavy , very wide and maneuvering the thing from the top is dicey ( handholds are awkwardly placed ) . But the powered part works as advertised .

Hands down the Escalera is my favorite powered handtruck . Literally effortless going up stairs . Going down can get a little tricky ( nubs on the wheels bring the load up before going down the step ) but you get the hang of it after a few tries .
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    The new boiler

will pay for itself shortly. As to type? Triple pass is the only way to go! Buderus,Viessmann,Biasi etc.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
This discussion has been closed.