Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gorton # 2 question (do they need to be straight upright)?

Options
Roma
Roma Member Posts: 71
I just installed 4 new gorton # 2's onto my mains.  That is 2 on each main via a  tree connection.   One problem I did have was the gorton#2's are much bigger than the hoffman 75's the barely fit under the ceiling. I didn't want to jam them under the ceiling because I figured they would need to expand somewhat.  So I have them off to the side at about an 80 to 85 degree angle not quite a 90 degrees (or straight up).  Will this be okay or do I need to somehow reduce the height and or break into the rafters?  It was like putting a puzzle together as it is very tight down there.   

Comments

• crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    They have to be

exactly verticle.
  • Roma
    Options
    open up the ceiling?

I guess I will have to open up the ceiling.  It's a shame I am only short by 1/4" or so.  Do they need a certain amount of clearance above them?
  • crash2009
    Options
    Can you carve

a bit out of the ceiling?  with a drill bit or chisel?
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    I think Gorton #2's

are beautiful.

I would frame out an opening in my living room floor, trim it out and let the Gorton be a conversation piece.

:)
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    beauty is in the eye of the beholder

if those gortons are on a bit of a riser on your antler, then would a shorter nipple lower the height?

sometimes height can be gained by using a street-ell instead of a tee on a nipple.

the problem with putting the gortons on display from above through the floor would be supporting the viewing glass, so best to make them a little shorter. they are handsome however!--nbc
  • Carl1979
    Options
    1 Gortons really not enough to showcase

I would consider at least a 4 or 6 point antler appropriate to come thru the floor
  • Roma
    Options
    I probably could chisel a bit

I guess I could chisel a bit or try a street el I'm only need about 1/4 inch.  Does anyone know if there is any difference in the venting between the way I set it up above (branching to two sides) or coming off the pipe and having one vent after another as they do on gwgillplumbingandheating.com?
  • Roma
    Options
    just to clarify

I actually meant that I would have to take down some of the fireproofing (cement ceiling) and go up into the bays with the gorton #2's), but thank you for the humor.
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    Who

was joking?

:)
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • crash2009
    Options
    Rod had a good idea the other day for this exact situation

He suggested installing a dummy recessed light fixture above the Gorton.  This would allow you to remove and or replace them at a later date.  I would think you could get a fire-rated fixture to maintain code, if you need to.  This would work if you do not run into a floor joist. 
  • Roma
    Options
    I know you were joking

Thanks for the help.  I realized you were joking, I got a chuckle out of it myself. 
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,786
    Options
    Gorton, the artistic air vent!

I like the appearance of the Gorton vent, but I really wish there was an option for a different finish.  Nickel plating would be nice.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • crash2009
    Options
    I wasn't joking

I kinda liked the idea he had.  Insert Gorton into light fixture and turn clockwise into steam fitting.  For a 1/4" though I like the chisel or drill.
  • crash2009
    Options
    Different finish on the Gorton

I am shopping around for some thermochromic paint.  You know, changes color when it gets hot.  Room temperature its white, steam hits it, it turns red.
  • Roma
    Options
    close nipple

Someone suggested a close nipple.  About how much clearance will I save on this as opposed to a shoulder nipple on a 1/2 inch pipe size?
  • Roma
    Options
    close nipple

Someone suggested a close nipple.  About how much clearance will I save on this as opposed to a shoulder nipple on a 1/2 inch pipe size?
This discussion has been closed.