Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

out of oil

stevenmcs
stevenmcs Member Posts: 1
I ran out of oil. My 275 gal tank is in the basement with the furnace.

When I put oil back in the tank am I going to have to siphon it.

The oil line isn't connected to the bottom of the tank it goes into the cap on top of the tank. The line goes straight up and into the celling and over to the furnace.

Will the furnace suck the oil into the line when I push the start button?

Or do I need to siphon it into the line and then try and hook it back up while the oil is coming out.

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    overhead oil line

Bleeding an overhead oil line can be tough and time consuming, even for a heating pro. The proceedure is to bleed the pump while it is running and can be involved for someone not in the know. I suggest you get some help from a pro. Trying to explain it here could only lead to problems with no help readily available. Call a pro. Or, your fuel supplier may offer a restart service. Most drivers are trained to restart burners after a run out. You may also have to replace filters if sludge got into the tank filter or fuel line.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    primin der pupus:

If you have a Tigerloop, it will prime itself. If you have to call a Pro to get it going, have them install a Tigerloop; and you will never have a problem again.

It's too hard to explain all the ways to prime a fuel pump. But disconnecting the fuel line and sucking on it isn't one of them, DO NOT TO THAT!!!!! 
This discussion has been closed.