Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Finding a contractor

Fedpro
Fedpro Member Posts: 8
I have been looking to replace the leaking Burnham V7 boiler for several weeks now.  I have had several quotes for Burnham and Buderus boilers.  EVERY contractor I've had looks at the present boiler stats and quotes on a replacement for that one.  I've asked about a Heat loss calc and I'm told that they just need the size of the present boiler.  I've even taken all the measurements myself and offered them to these people, to no avail.  What do I have to do to get a properly sized boiler?  I am located south east of Boston and would like to know if anyone knows of a competent contractor who will properly size my boiler.

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    looking for contractor

Did you us the Find a Pro section on this site...many good guys in your area.
  • RobbieDo
    RobbieDo Member Posts: 131
    Boiler Sizing

I am a HVAC contractor, I will not go by just the old size of the unit. I always evaluate the home and do all of the calculations on the computer to find the proper size of the equipment. By not doing this it isn't giving the customer the service they deserve plus it can cause problems for the contractor. Good luck.
    Rob
  • EddieG
    EddieG Member Posts: 150
    Heat Loss....

A heat loss calculation is a must. I would keep calling around until I found a contractor that preformed one. Anything else is a guess! As others stated, check this site. Let us know where you are located and someone who lurks here might be in your area or knows someone who is. 
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    Heat Loss Calc

I'd perform my own heat loss calculation just to have something to test the contractor with, JMO.
  • ChasMan
    ChasMan Member Posts: 462
    edited February 2011
    How big is your house?

Probably the vast majority of homes can be heated with the smallest boiler offered in most makes. Not much point in doing the calculations if you know the smallest one made is too big is there?
This discussion has been closed.