Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hallmark oil furnace

sparkie
sparkie Member Posts: 49
could someone please shed some light on a hallmark oil furnace? is this a good piece of equipment? long lasting? reliable?   etc.        thanks for all opinions

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    Hallmark hot air furnaces

I have serviced and installed them and have found them to be a good unit with a beefy welded  steel heat exchanger better the ducane and most other oil fired hot air furnaces.I have found the heat exchanger to be easy to clean with decent clean outs.One note though is that above the combustion chamber is a baffle plate which will beome damaged if the unit is not serviced yearly this baffle can not be replaced and to hallmark it means the unit was not servied or set up correctly and that will be the end of that unit.I know becasue i have seen and replaced a few in the past ,other wise if set up , servied  and heat exchanger properly clean and vacumed yearly they last for years .When the stack temp goes above about 550 it  is time to clean it if memory serves me right they usually run about 400 or so stack it has been a while since i have serviced one all in all the best hot air furnace in my mind,also i believe carrier and a few others are just rebagged ducane style heat exchangers   peace and good luck clammy  
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    The newer ones

are much better than when I was installing them in the late 80's, early 90's. Those were terrible. The steel chambers would burn up, the baffle regardless of when it was cleaned would burn up, blowers were noisy, high stack temps. all these problems even after down firing 2 nozzle sizes from spec size. The baffle and chamber sucked to replace. They were originally a Jomar furnace. On the plus side, the optional front or rear flue was helpful.
  • chris123
    chris123 Member Posts: 1
    convert Hallmark to propane

Is it feasible to convert the burner in a Hallmark oil fired hot air furnace to propane? if yes, who makes the replacement for a Beckett burner?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Technically feasible?

Sure.

Economically feasible?  Probably not.  2-stage furnaces with ECM motors are surprisingly inexpensive.