Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressure Release Valve Hose

I Live in Dallas Texas I was told that the hose for my Pressure Release Valve had to be copper and that I could not use CPVC,even if it is made  for hot water use. Is this true?

Or are thay tring to sell me something I don't need?

The CPVC is a lot cheaper and easer to use and is something I can do myself. Also how far away from the house do I need to run it?

Thank You For Your Help Sam

Comments

• Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    You don't run it outside

You're supposed to run it to a suitable drain and have it end a few inches above the drain, so you can observe if it's discharging. Typically people just pipe it straight down to the (usually unfinished) floor of whatever room hosts their boiler or water heater.

Some jurisdictions allow the use of special plastic tubing made specifically for that purpose. Ultimately, you have to do what the code says you should do, or risk consequences. Best to educate yourself how things are supposed to be done, both with regard to this and whatever other aspects of the installation. Codes are there to keep you safe, and unless you know better than the people who wrote them, it's probably best to observe them.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Different strokes for different folks...

Codes change by area. Based on your screen name, I assume you are in the Dallas area, and that area probably NEVER gets down to freezing. Up here in Denver, it is against the code to have the relief waste of ANY pressure relief valve run to the outside. If there is a drip, and it gets below freezing, an ice plug will form in the relief waste, causing it to become useless.

If in doubt, call the code inspection folks. They govern the use of certain items, like plastic relief pipes. They can tell you wether it is a go or no go situation.

Code authorities can be equal to, or more stringent than the national code which they reference, but never less stringent. So, even if it is allowed in the applicable national code, the locals may have outlawed it.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • rlaggren
    rlaggren Member Posts: 160
    Most places will field code questions on the phone

Provided you're polite and treat them like god (which in fact they are as far as your building is concerned) you will generally receive good treatment. Note that's not the same as getting the particular answer you wanted.  Polite, respectful, business like and nine out of ten you will get the info you need easily and maybe a bit of help along with it

Rufus
    disclaimer - I'm a plumber, not a heating pro.
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    edited January 2011
    If the Authorities Having Jurisdiction say "copper"

Just ask, "what wall thickness?". For three or four feet of copper tubing and an elbow, I would just do it. The contractors time is about the same. Even if copper is more costly, you are not talking much to make an issue of it, IMHO, especially if it is a code requirement.

As stated, it has to run to a safe and visible place, unrestricted, no traps.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    What about Iron?

Imagine an iron pipe being run to a suitable location and getting a constant fresh jolt of oxygen and minerals by a dripping relief valve.
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    edited January 2011
    Iron is

not allowed in the City of Boston at least and for the reasons you stated. We specify copper, Type L.

We never specify iron for relief valve piping except for steam relief valves discharging upward with drip-pan elbows or safety sleeves.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.