Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

how should i answear

Options
add
add Member Posts: 94
when a customer tells me that the previous technician walked in with a pair of channel locks and six way screw driver to work on his oil burner.butchering all the nuts.thanks.

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    really?

Thats not how we do it. Unless it is how you do it.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    I am glad I am not a contractor.

When my former contractor installed my new boiler system, he had quite a collection of channel locks. I think they are great pliers, when you need pliers, but they are not wrenches. I asked why no wrenches, and one replied that they were obsolete, and channel locks worked for everything. Fearing the worst, I bought a torque wrench and an 11 mm socket for the nuts to the cover plate on my aluminum heat exchanger. I did not need it for my first service because the techie refused to open the heat exchanger as required by the Installation manual. Another reason why they became my former contractor.

My new contractor did inspect my heat exchanger, and even cleaned the pin side. He came prepared with new gaskets and a new igniter, but no torque wrench. So I leant him mine. I know the importance of torque wrenches on aluminum castings; I had several cars with aluminum cylinder heads and steel spark plugs. If they were too loose, the plugs fried; if too tight, the threads of the head stripped. I have remonstrated to the owner of the contracting firm, and the technician who knows about combustion analyzers is coming tomorrow. At least, the new contractor seems willing to listen.

Somehow, a customer needs to know an incompetent technician when he sees one, and to show him the door. It takes some nerve for me to do that, but the alternative can be very expensive. I think it a shame that I am willing to pay the price a qualified technician commands, but have so much trouble finding one. I should not have to teach them their business.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    sometimes less is more

but you gotta have tools to do the work. I believe in wrenches also, but I also don't roll my tool cabinet in to calibrate a thermostat.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    How Should I Answer:

I have all the tools. Including channel locks and a torque wrench. I can't clean 8 oil boilers in 8 hours.

I cost more.

The guys that clean 8 boilers a day get the work.

You get what you pay for.
  • add
    add Member Posts: 94
    Options
    thank you

all for your word of wisdom.bye.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    A good answer:

If someone told me that, I might take it as a slight. I might reply to them, "When you take your new car to the dealer, do you expect their auto techs to fix your car with a pair of channel locks and a 6-way screwdriver? I'm like the auto tech. Lots of training, lots of tools and lots of experience. Those other guys must be farmers. Sometimes, you can fix a farm tractor with a pair of channel locks and a 6-way,"
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    You get what you pay for.

I wish that were true. If you are unwilling to pay the price, you should not be surprised at what you get. But if you are willing to pay the price, you should get what you pay for, and that is rare indeed. It should not be rare.
This discussion has been closed.