Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fuel oil delivery verification devices?

Options
Hello all,

I may be detecting discrepancies in my home heating fuel oil deliveries, but I have no way of knowing for sure.  During a renovation several years ago my oil tank (indoor and old from the 70's) was professionally drained and moved.  I was told then that I have a 200 gallon tank; however, I am occassionally billed for quantities in excess of 200 gallons.  I don't want to create a bad relationship with my oil provider, but my household finances cannot withstand being overcharged right now.  Is there any way to tell how much oil is being pumped each delivery?  I found a device online called "the Verifier", but the seller says that it is for commercial and multidwelling residential only.  My husband used to take care of these things, and I am embarassed to say that I am not up to speed with what is out there. Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Options
    200 Gallon?

I would bet that you have a 275 gallon tank as that is the industry standard for residential applications.  Stock tanks come in 135, 275, 330 gallon and so on.  There are some double wall tanks out there that are slightly different, but I am not aware of a 200 gallon one.

I am not aware of a meter that would tell you how much was delivered.  There are some out there but the cost to purchase and install might make it out of reach.  These units are primarily for the commercial and multi-family dwellings as you stated.

If you could give us the measurements of your tank, then we could verify that it is a 275 as I suspect.  Length, width and height (minus the legs).

Good Luck
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    tank size

It could be a 225, 250, 275, 330? If your tank is 60" long, 28" wide, and 44"high -the tank only minus the legs, then you have a 275. Each tank size will be about 12" less in length as you go down the size scale, and 12" if a 330. I also am not aware of a device to verify what is pumped into the tank, I would also think it would not be approved as it would have to meter what is entering the tank, and can obstruct or interfere with the filling process. The delivery truck has to print you out a meter ticket that should be yearly tested by Weights and Measures locally for accuracy. It must be a sealed meter also. You can request that info from the supplier, and it shouldn't offend them if they are legit. Hope this helps
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Fuel Tanks:

You probably have a 275 gallon tank. If you run the tank out, although it is a 275 gallon tank, it is only filled until the whistle stops. You can't put more than 244 gallons in the tank. If you call it in when the gauge is on empty, that difference is how much oil is in the  tank, It will vary. If you have automatic delivery, they let it run too long. It might run out.

I doubt seriously that you are being cheated on deliveries by the oil company. There really isn't much in it for them. If you use a reputable oil dealer, the tickets are pre-printed and tracked by computer. They are given to the driver. Your slip comes up when he makes your delivery. He puts the slip in the meter. It prints out the amount when he is done. He can't take it out and put another one back in. He can't drive the truck around with the PTO engaged.

Anything is possible but I don't think that you are being over billed for oil. It isn't that easy to do.  
  • Winkie
    Winkie Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Mrs

What is the capacity of my oil tank that measures 66 x 22 x 44?
  • Winkie
    Winkie Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Mrs

What is the capacity of my oil tank that measures 66 x 22 x 44?
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Options
    are you sure its not 27-28 wide?

If not is could be a slimline 275....