Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Automatic Filling Gauge is spewing water

Ciaran
Ciaran Member Posts: 2
I went into the garage tonight to find it flooded.

We have an emmeti automatic filling valve with gauge and it was spewing water from both sides of the black cylinder on top. There was an adjustable screw underneath that when I turned it fuilly clockwise to close it, the water stopped.

I'm not sure if that was the correct thing to do?

I've attached photos.

Please let me know - I hope there is someone out there on the site as it is Stephens night!!

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    I have not.....

seen that model fast fill before... Are you n the UK? as you mentions st. Stevens/ boxing day....
  • World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    Fittings

I'll bet he is in Europe by looking at the fittings. Male by male ball valve. 
  • Ciaran
    Ciaran Member Posts: 2
    Yes I'm in Ireland.

I'm not sure what you mean by fast fill?

Basically the heating has been working fine since I tightened the valve underneath but I was wondering why it spews water when I unscrew it and is it ok that it is now shut tight?
  • World Plumber
    feeder valve

Do you have a pressure gauge on the boiler? AS long as that is the on/off wheel you turned and  you stopped the water it should be OK, you'll need to keep a watch on the boiler pressure, if there are any minute leaks you will lose pressure and heat to the highest points. But if the water level gets low in the boiler then you could have problems. I don't know what boiler you have. With the separate feeder valve I'm assuming it's not a wall mounted unit. As long as your not overfeeding the system you should be OK till you get a replacement.
  • World Plumber
    Da

Da! Were  in the oil section. It's probably an oil boiler. There should be a gauge on the boiler keep a watch on that. We turn the water feed off when we add anti-freeze and they run trouble free for many years.  Keep an eye on the feeder valve that it doesn't start leaking from the opposite side. I don't know how that is made. The diaphragm or seal was probably letting the inlet side water by and could continue to deteriorate till it lets the boiler water start to leak out. Maybe change it at the end of the season. 
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    do you have a name

on that valve? I could look for a manual and give a better answer. My family left Ireland in the 1840's for the sunny clime of Glasgow for a few generations before coming to the States. My Da spent his summers after the war at his sisters near Black Lion.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    The gauge on it is quite high.

I think it is back flowing you need to have that looked at as the black needle is almost pinned all the way around. It should not be reading any higher than the red needle. Is there a valve between that valve and the water supply? I am thinking water expansion tank needs replaced or serviced also
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.