Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Brick in the firebox burning and disintegrating

AJ1
AJ1 Member Posts: 24
I had a tuneup in Sep on my OLD oil  furnace.

It has a beckett burner. Its a steam boiler.

After the tune up I noticed that the flame was considerable longer and was touching the front wall of the firebox.

All was well.The boiler was running fine.

Today I noticed that the bricks are disintegrating and tiny fragments on the corner are splitting and falling in the firebox.

I need help with the following:

1. I am concerned that the firebox is splintering because the flame is going to far

2. Anything I can do to prevent the brick from dis integrating.

3. What is wrong and how can it be corrected.

Pardon me I am not a pro just a HO ..so need help from you experts...

THANK YOU.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    First is

get the flame off of the target wall area by either down firing, using a hollow nozzle, and use Lynn blanket to line the exposed brick. More burner specs needed. Firing rate, boiler max input
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Disintegrating Bricks:

Bill is right. Get the flame off the firebricks.

Are there any old nozzles laying around, hopefully? If more than one, are they the same? If the "new" nozzle isn't the same manufacturer, spray angle or flow, it may be the cause. The person who serviced it may have changed the nozzle to something different that isn't working. Call the company or person who serviced it and tell them what is going on. It shouldn't be doing that.

If "I" did that, I would expect that you would call me about it and expect me to make it right. And I would. If you don't have the correct, matching nozzle in the truck, don't change it to something you think might work. If it doesn't, you could be responsible for a problem.

Call the person who serviced it. If it worked for years one way and someone works on it and it doesn't work after that, don't take any excuses.

Judge Judy wrote a book about her experiences as a family court judge. It was called "Don't Pee On My Leg And Tell Me Its Raining".

It's not raining and someone put the wrong nozzle in there.
  • AJ1
    Do the bricks splinter if the fire is touching them?

The old nozzle was .85GPH 70 A delvan.

The tune up guy replaced it with some steel nozzle and insisted that its better than the delevan.I think he used the same .85GPH 70 A some other brand..

Do the bricks splinter if the fire is touching them....I called the guy and he insists that the bricks are fire brick so if the fire touches them,so what...

The burner is Beckett and this is an old cast iron boiler...very solid and inefficient.But does a wonderful job..of heating the house...I like it.

How soon shall this be addressed before the firebox completely crumbles...what is the worst case scenario...

I tried taking pics but its hard to capture the issue with a still camera...

All in all,the flame is bright yellow and looks like it using a Hollow nozzle...and the flame earlier use to be in the center of the firefox..now its comparatively wider and longer..going out far to touch the bricks across from the burner...
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    sounds like

you need an 80 degree nozzle. Shorter, wider flame. The thing is, if it is a dry base boiler, the fire brick is more critical than if it is a wet base. Sounds  like he may not know that? Get us the make/model boiler you have, so we can advise. Merry Christmas
  • AJ1
    Please help

The technician came and he did something...so now the fire is not touching the wall..but the house doesnt heat/..the burner is running all the time...

While draining the water cutoff valve i felt the water and its mild.. compared to before whereas if I try touching it it will burn my fingers..

I need help....please let me know what to do...all pointers will be appreciated...

also while running the burner is not making the same noise..usually its was more louder..I think the technician also did something with the input air setting...
  • AJ1
    Please help

The technician came and he did something...so now the fire is not touching the wall..but the house doesnt heat/..the burner is running all the time...

While draining the water cutoff valve i felt the water and its mild.. compared to before whereas if I try touching it it will burn my fingers..

I need help....please let me know what to do...all pointers will be appreciated...

also while running the burner is not making the same noise..usually its was more louder..I think the technician also did something with the input air setting...
This discussion has been closed.