Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dual Oil Tank

Options
Ghost08
Ghost08 Member Posts: 1
I am installing two oil tanks in my garage and I would like a schematic for a two-tank hook up, outside fill, with 1 supply and return line for both tanks (but separate lines). I'm attaching the schematic I've been using as my guide, but now have been told it's faulty.  Thoughts/suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    There is a lot wrong with that pic

First is the vent pipe diameter should never be smaller than than the fill. Common sense, and code here in Mass. I would also consider separate fills, and vents. Also any thermal valves codes where you are? Also be mindful on keeping them the same height. 
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Yes

Throw away that old diagram out, it must have come out of a 1930s handbook when oil was just starting to replace coal ... Twin tanks need an equalizing line between the two tanks which is a 1/2" line connecting the two bottom tank valves... Between the two tanks along the equalizing line you can tap off a supply into a filter first then branch to two separate lines .. The tanks need to be pitched down toward the valves ... Single fill and vent set up would be ... A two inch fill line piped into the first tank , this would be the pressurized tank , from the pressurized tank pipe a two inch pipe to the second tank which we call the vented tank .. On the vented tank you would add a tank whistle not to be cut if using horizontal twin tanks .f From the whistle pipe the vent out side . All fill and vent lines need to be pitched down toward the tank . And you can only use one tank gauge on the vented tank only .. As posted you need to check local codes

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.