Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riello Question

Options
Tony Massi
Tony Massi Member Posts: 86
I had some trouble with a Riello F 5 burner. On arrival burner not running, motor not turning, control not in safety. Check power only has 117 volts ac to sub base. Checked power to L8124A has 120 volts. Jumped out 5 & 6 still nothing. Changed motor still nothing. Called Riello tech support. They said burner will run on 117 volts ( plus or minus 10 percent ). Ran jumper form L1 to wire to sub base , (120 volts). Burner started up. Changed L8124A  and went on my way.

Comments

• meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Options
    I have seen these things run on really low voltages.

Not uncommon to see older in-town houses with 60 amp services up here.

I have Riello's running on as low as 114 V.  It is more likely an amperage issue as previously suggested.  If the aquastat had a problem and was causing a big amperage drop then you would see the problems that you described.

I don't trust tech support any further than I can throw them anymore.  I hate it when I call a company and I can tell that the guy is reading from a script and that I know more about the units than they do.
  • Tony Massi
    Options
    Riello, Lesson Learned.

It must be the amperage. Being the burner can run on lower voltage what else could it be. If I ever run into this problem again I'll just run a jumper from L1 to the burner wire, and see what happens. Sometimes when your busy working in a cold house on your knees you loose sight of the common sense things you know and start to re lie on others to help bail you out.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Options
    No problem.

Hey, we have all been there.  The answer is right in front of you and you can't clear your head long enough to see it.
  • Tony Massi
    Options
    That's correct

Today I had to change a Riello motor that seized. At least I'm getting faster at it.

Thank you.
  • World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Are you sure

Are you sure there was voltage?

The new digital meters are very sensitive and will pick up stray voltage. Put any kind of resistance there and it will drop to zero. If you run into that again try a test light if it doesn't light the current is not there,
This discussion has been closed.