Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tjerlund SS1 shutting off.

Brendan77
Brendan77 Member Posts: 1
I've been having to reset my furnace several times a day lately. The furnace will function normally for anywhere from 20min to 12 hours, but will eventually need a reset to kick back on.

Last night I decided to sit in the basement and babysit the thing to try and figure out what is wrong.

Turns out that my Tjerlund ss1 exhaust fan is shutting down at random times, which of course shuts off and locks out the furnace a few seconds later.

The diagnostic LED's came back with:

"Fan Prover opened for more than 10 seconds during burner cycle but closed within 10 minutes."

So what's the next step? Clean the fan and prover tube?

My oil company wants to replace the circuit board, but it will be a while before they get the part in stock.

thanks,

Brendan

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    better yet

I would ask them if they are capable of installing a timer relay in place of the board. I have done this for the same reason. The timer relay from past Sideshot power venters work the best, and I have no idea why they needed to complicate the vent system with a unreliable circuit board. This way in no way by passes any safetys.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Yes, clean

unit first and clean the sensing tube. The wheel should be cleaned when your boiler is serviced. You will likely find that is the trouble. Absolutely do this prior to replacing parts.
  • Support
    Support Member Posts: 1
    Clean it

Tjernlund Technical Support is available 7:30am to 4:30pmCST  M-F at (800)-255-4208.

The most common problem is lack of cleaning.  This is a necessary maintenance procedure for all SideShots(tm) when used on oil-fired heaters.  Carbon deposits on the wheel and can eventually lead to a decrease in the SideShot's performance.  When draft falls below the set-point pressure, the UC1 turns the burner off so that the house doesn't fill up with soot, or worse, with Carbon Monoxide.  Go to www.tjernlund.com to download the SS1 Owner's Manual and follow the directions for accessing the wheel for cleaning.
    Lard
  • billtwocase
    Is the motor dropping out

during operation? I personally have never had a problem with the fan prover tube on Sideshot 1 or 2, unlike the other brand where it is a common problem. I have had to replace a few motors, fan prover switches, adjust timer relays, but that is about it with those.  Pretty good units. You can clean the tube, but I bet the problem is elsewhere personally
  • billtwocase
    Yes that does sound scary

Did the vent motor not run? The thermal switch is another safety, like the spillage switch on the other brand. If they are not wire right, or the possibility of a faulty board, it can happen. I do prefer chimneys over vents, but we find more and more of them out there
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    SS-1's

Each and every SS-1 Side Shot I ever installed, there was no chimney and absolutely no possibility of installing one.

I personally prefer a SS-1 over a defective chimney in all cases.
  • add
    add Member Posts: 94
    a good old chimney

a strictly oil burner man like me,definetely agrees with you slow-115 we see a lot everyday. some only install and never get to go back,of course there is no problem with it.
  • World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    Motor

Is the motor on the venter stopping? If it is you need to find what is causing it. If not then get cleaning. Just a little build up will keep the pressure switch from pulling in or holding your sensing the pull or the air crossing the tube. So it only takes a couple particles of dust to mess things up.
This discussion has been closed.