Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any tax help for steam?

Options
Hollis
Hollis Member Posts: 105
Should probably replace an old steam boiler. I have heard that steam boilers do not meet standards for tax breaks/energy incentives?  Is that true? Is there any help for staying with steam?

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    No cigar

In their infinite wisdom the powers that be have decreed an efficiency standard that does not include things like blower or pump motors so steam boilers don't meet the 90% requirement. The best steamers make close to 86%, but that does not win the cigar.

Trying to switch to forced hot water without changing all the piping and radiators often leads to much grief. If you decide to switch over bring a wheelbarrow full of cash.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Tax breaks

90% + boilers are still only in the industrial realm.  However, it appears there may be smaller sizes coming out in the next year of so, I am eagerly waiting.

There was a recent post on this subsect and my recommendation is to start creating as much ruckus as possible with your Federal government reps. These redicuous and poorly thought out standards need to be revised for everyones good.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.