Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is a "Pony Pump"

Walshlaw
Walshlaw Member Posts: 10
Can anyone describe generic name or recommend where I can buy a "pony pump" for purging air from HW boiler and baseboard system when hot ? Thanks.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Never heard of that term in hydronics...

and I've only been doing this for 35 years :-)

When I was young, and in the road building business, we had a D-9 Caterpiller bull dozer that had a Pony Engine on it. It was a 2 cylinder gas powered engine that would be started first, and once warm, it was used to turn the larger diesel engine over, building oil pressure and coolant circulation before engaging the fuel system to start the engine.

In a drain back solar system, I have seen pumps that were in series, with one of them being on a timed delay for off. Once a siphon has been established on the down comer, the extra larger, or "Pony" pump would be dropped out, and circulation was easily handled by a smaller circulator.

In a true closed loop heating system, that is properly set up, filled and purged, residual air should not be an issue, and shouldn't require any extra pumps.

Tell us more about your situation.

Got pictures?

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Walshlaw
    What is a "Pony Pump"

I found this on Inspectapedia.com site:

" This procedure for repairing an air-bound hot water heating system is similar to method #1 above except that we connect our boiler drain to a 5-gallon bucket, and we use a pony pump with a short garden hose in the bucket to pump heating water from the boiler bottom service drain into a service drain on the hot water riser pipe or heating zone water pipe."

Photo attached (from Site)
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    That brought back memories Mark

That was how we got the old D-8's Caterpiller a runnin. Was always a task doggin it in to turn over the main engine. I do know what Walsh is talkin about. This is how I pump antifreeze into boilers, drain them down for replacement/repair, or just to get them purged without adding more water into the mix. I have found that upper floor zones like to be purged by pump. I no longer use the "Pony Pump" brand. The impellers don't hold up, and you are lucky to get 15 PSI out of them.  I like the Wayne pumps. Just gotta watch the PSI, they will pop the relief valve quick like. 
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    almost forgot

Walsh, they are "Proven Pumps". That is the manufacture that I have always ordered parts by.
  • Walshlaw
    Pumps

Thanks Bill. Will take a look at those pumps.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Caution with Inspectipedia....

Would not be the first time they have put out incorrect information, hence the reason they recommend all of their members carry professional liability E&O coverage... These guys have been known to invent their own jargon and terminology. Especially when they don't know what they are talking about, which is fairly often.

That is what our industry refers to as a charging pump, and the one they show doesn't have a whole lot of cajones.

Unless you are trying to fill the system with a glycol solution, you do not need a charging pump. If all you are trying to do is purge the system of air, and it is set up correctly, you should be able to do everything you need to from the mechanical room.

If the technician that came out doesn't understand that concept, maybe it is time to find a new more qualified/experienced technician.

If this is a recurring problem, it is probably a matter of the expansion tanks location in relationship to the system circulator.

Recurrant air binding is not the norm....

Got pictures?

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    Love the regional terms.

That's what we call it on Long Island, Mark.

I never heard the term Double-D until I hung out with you and Dennis. ;-)
    Retired and loving it.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Take a look at the Liberty too.

Walsh,

Take a look at the Liberty transfer pumps as well.  Since we do 98% hydronics up here in Maine, we wreck about 3 transfer pumps a year.  The Pony Pumps work well.  They are very limited in head and gpm capability.  The biggest asset is not needing to prime them.  We use the Pony's for pumping RV antifreeze into Domestic systems for winterizing summer homes.  We use the Liberty and Wayne transfer pumps for hydronic systems.  The pony will usually not develop enough head to handle a 3 story building and definitely will not do it with glycol.

Tried to pump concentrated glycol with a Pony once in a pinch.  2 month old pump, you should have heard it whine.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Hanging with me and Bellanti can be hazardous to your stealth...

Way too many outbursts of laughter to keep people from seeing you :-) The only thing that would be even more fun would be hanging with me, Greg Birney and Dennis. Now THAT is a riot looking for a place to happen ;-)

But I learned something new from you today.

Thanks!

ME
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    We should make that happen.

And soon! ;-)
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Will drop a bug in Dennis ear...

Saw him the other day, will see him again in the future.

ME
This discussion has been closed.