Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Heater No heat but it is burning oil

Options
Frances368
Frances368 Member Posts: 2
My oil heater set up to heat the hot water while I have an electric water heater to provide the hot water  . Since my oil burner does not have any switch to turn off, I used the ER to turn off the oil burner. Right now it is winter, I turned on the oil burner, I can see the water come out the oil burner is hot. I can also hear the combustive sound come out often. But I do not know why it did not heat up the house even though I turn thermostat really high. Thx.

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    Options
    oil burning with no heat

Frances, from your description, it sounds like you may have an air bound system. IF it has been idle all summer, there may have been some air get into the system. The first thing to check is the pressure to make sure the system is pressurized...usually 12-15 pounds on the gauge.

You should call in a heating professional to look things over for you and to make the necessary adjustments. Do not attempt yourself if you do not have the know how or experience to do so.
  • Frances368
    Frances368 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    solution

Thanks. It ended up found out the switch for electricity was not turn on.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    pump may have ceased from sitting for the summer

The controller on my boiler has a feature that can be enabled that operates each circulator for 10 seconds after 48 hours of inactivity to prevent this from happening. Other boilers may also have this capability. On mine, it is enabled by the settings of the controller.
This discussion has been closed.