Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BURNHAM BOILER HELP

Options
WE HAVE A BURNHAM STEAM BOILER THAT IS DRIVING EVERYONE INCLUDING THE GURU AT BURNHAM CRAZY. WHEN THE BOILER IS JUMPED OUT THE BOILER WILL RUN MINUS ALL OF THE SAFETY CONTROLS. TECH SERVICE HAD THE TECHNICIAN CHECK ALL VOLTAGES AND CONTROLS. WHEN VENTDAMPER IS PLUGGED IN THE UNIT WILL NOT OPERATE. THE VENT DAMPER HAS BEEN CHANGED THE PROBE LOW WATER CUT OFF HAVE BEEN CHANGED B/C IT WAS READING 12 VOLTS. THE BOILER RAN 4 APPROX. 3 MINUTES AND THEN NOTHING AGAIN, BOILER IS NOW OPERATING ONLY BY THE EMERGENCY CUTOFF SWITCH. PLEASE OFFER ANY ADVICE ON THIS PROBLEM.

Comments

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Model #

What model # is it, the IN4? On the smaller steamers the LWCO runs a smart cycle that runs the boiler for 3 minutes or so, then shuts it off. Also, stupid suggestions but possibly helpful: check the switch on the vent damper, and/or remove the quick connect for the LWCO and wire manually.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Time for a new person to work on this

Running with safeties over ridden is asking for a letter from legal. You need to work the system step by step through the wiring diagram and test with testers each switch in the circuit. What model do you have and do you have a photo?
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    never override

The only time you jump out any safety device is for troubleshooting reasons....The installation manual has a very good troubleshooting guide and should be used....Tell us what happens on a call for heat...Start with the vent dampener does it open on a call for heat...If not I suggest start there...check the harness for integrity things like is a connection pin pushed back or loose in the socket...use a ohm meter and check for continuity from one end of the wire to the other end,then check for a possible short between the wires....It  is not all that unusual for the dampener to fail...the last failure I had was the dampener was opening however was running beyond the limit switches....I assume the boiler was wired properly....correct?
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Clarify

I just want to clarify something. When I say remove the quick connect from the LWCO and wire manually, I am not suggesting you override the LWCO...I literally mean to remove the quick connect that allows the LWCO wiring to snap in, and wire each wire individually. This voltage problem happened on one of our recent installations and this was inevitably the solution. It does not override the LWCO.
This discussion has been closed.