Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Covering Ceiling and Floor Holes

Greg311
Greg311 Member Posts: 2
Does anyone have a suggestion for the best way to cover up the holes in Ceilings and Floors from the steam pipes?  In some cases i have collars on them, but I live on a first floor apt and i have the 2 additional pipes about an inch or 2 apart from each other running up my wall for the other 2 apartments in the building...do they make double collars or do I need to do something else?  If so what is the best method? 

Greg

Comments

• HDE
    HDE Member Posts: 225
    edited November 2010
    Escutcheons

The items you are looking for are called: split-ring escutcheons

In your case if the pipe is steel, you would be looking for the IPS type, sized for steel pipe.

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/5/D-O-Smith-10162-rw-58934-16841.jpg
  • Greg311
    Greg311 Member Posts: 2
    Escutcheons

Thank you very much for your reply, but do they make such a thing with 2 pipes relatively close to each other that will fill the gap.  I have attached a photo with what I am dealing with.  It just doesnt seem like these will allow me to "wrap" each pipe.  Then again, i've never formally tried.  Thanks for your help!

Greg
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Crappy solution.

I have some copper tubing coming up from the floor. The hole is oversize to allow for expansion of the tubing. I needed the split-type since the tubing was already in place, already attached to the baseboard. I tried hardware and big box stores, and they had none. When the plumbing supply store opened, the only thing they had was chrome plated plastic.

If you could stand using something like this, you could trim one edge off each of two of these to fit them closer together.

Maybe they make good versions of these, but mine are ugly, the chrome is peeling off, and they do not lie flat on the floor.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Holes:

Love those patriotic American manufactureers and the chinese they hire.

Plastic is what you may get.

Try Crest Mfg in LI New York. They may have something still. Otherwise, chrome plated plastic it is.
  • rlaggren
    rlaggren Member Posts: 160
    Another possibility

The "standard" escutcheon (not split) is 26ga or so steel (chromed). The stuff cuts easily w/a pair of aircraft snips. A plumbing supplier would have them easy. Get 6 or so to allow for practice, then carve them up as needed to mate neatly and cover the holes. Then use some cheap caulk as glue and paste them up over the holes.  Clean the caulk mess and squeeze-out  before it dries much cuz that's _way_ easier than waiting.

Another way is to use the super expanding foam. Fill the holes, wait a week until it stops expanding, then cut it off flush at the ceiling using a hack saw blade held in your bare hand. Take a 2" and 4" putty knife and a little pot of ready-mix spackle and make it nice and smooth. Paint it neatly with some color not to far off from whats there now. If you keep the whole operation w/in about 1 pipe diameter of the pipes, and the paint color isn't too far off, you'll never notice it. Careful w/that foam - it gets everywhere and sticks _instantly_. Wear old clothes when you foam and cover up the walls and below w/some of the wispy cheap painter's plastic; tape the plastic to the walls and stuff to make sure you protect everything.

Rufus
    disclaimer - I'm a plumber, not a heating pro.
This discussion has been closed.