Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Burner comparison

Beardog
Beardog Member Posts: 1
I have 2 quotes for a new boiler (forced hot water system - oil) and a new hot water heater. First one is for a Peerless WBV-03 water boiler with Riello burner & 40 gallon Heat-Flo (HF-40) indirect water heater. The second quote is for a Viessman VR1-27 86.8%afue w/a Super-Stor 45 gallon indirect water heater. Is there any real difference between these as one is 20% more than the other.

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Which boiler to get?

I am not a professional and  cannot recommend one boiler over the other. However, I replaced my oil fired 55 year old oil burner with a gas fired mod|con boiler about 18 months ago.

It is my impression that if these two boilers are anywhere similar in capacity and in the features you need, that your decision should be made on the quality of your contractor. It is desirable that you get the correct size boiler, and that takes a heat loss calculation to determine it. If your house is like mine, the boiler in there now is about twice the size it needs to be.

Get references from both contractors and talk with the clients. If they will let you, look at their installations. Do they look neat or sloppy. If you know anything about hydronic heating, see if the near boiler piping is correct. Look at the Installation and maintenance manual for each before you go and try to judge if the manual was followed.  Saving money on the design and installation can cost you money every year if it is poorly done.
  • ChasMan
    ChasMan Member Posts: 462
    Not enough Info.

The control package is important here.

Also, Make sure you are not getting one that is too big. If you can get away with a smaller boiler then do so.

I would tend to go with the Veissman if it were me but 20% could be 200 or 2000 and we can't discuss prices here anyways. I like the Titanic.. err Marine design over the Peerless. The Peerless has that ceramic target wall. Not a fan of fluffy stuff that can't be cleaned.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    It just depends

IMHO, the Viessmann is a far superior product.  No question, hands down.  I have installed and serviced pretty much everything that has ever been made.  The Viessmann's quality is top drawer.  Having said that, anything installed by a bad installer is not going to work properly.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.