Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Carrier Condensing boiler help

Hello Wallies!

Need help trouble shooting a Carrier BW9 Condensing boiler. 2 yr. old (not my install) no literature left on site. IBC UT series 1013. Fan and pump come on, igniter glows (w/ 2.88 am noted) UT-1013 board lock out blinking "valve"

Any ideas?

Robert O'Connor/NJ

Comments

• HDE
    HDE Member Posts: 225
    ECR

The Carrier/Bryant BW9 boiler is made by ECR. Its a Q90 series also labeled as a Dunkirk & Utica. I'm sure you can go to the ECR site and get good manuals.

FYI, that boiler goes through lots of HSI ignitors, especially if not set up properly.
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    HDE

Thanks for your response. I'll check ECR for info. Just wondering, if signal strength is @ 2.8 and does glow, is it possible the ignitors bad? Reason I ask is a while back my own stove's oven thermostat went bad but I was certain it may of been something else because ignitor did work but discovered later signal strength was the reason. I just don't want to replace the IBC if I don't have to.

Thank You!

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • HDE
    Ohms

Whats the rsistance in OHMS?

Yes they glow but dont work

Was the gas valve energized at all?
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    HDE

It was the ignitor. Thanks for the link to ECR. The Carrier boiler was made by Bryant. There is a new style ignitor that fixes the end about an inch further out than the last one. Basically its the same one with the bracket that captures the ignitor about an inch further back. Thanks for your reply!

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • HDE
    edited November 2010
    Bryant

Carrier & Bryant dont make boilers, ECR dies for them, paint them a different color and sell to carrier corp.

Yes there was a ignitor upgrade awhile back, however I'd keep a spare on hand
  • HDE is correct,,,

there was a change from Q90-100,,, (only 3 sizes),,,, but I changed from (not burner) to Q90-100 to Q100-50 and had absolutely no problems,,, the "block & blower" is exactly the same,,, only a different orifice.

Which is not brain surgery.
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Thanks!

Thanks for your responses!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Robert O'Connor/NJ
This discussion has been closed.