Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Synchronized thermostats?

Options
I have a hydro-air system with an air handler upstairs (one zone), an air handler downstairs (2 zones), an indirect hot water heater, and a seldom used hydronic (radiator) zone in a workshop.  All of this is running off of a Burnham boiler.

There are currently Honeywell programmable thermostats on the 3 main zones, but the system is a bit chaotic as there is no synchronization - i.e. one zone shuts off, 10 seconds later another zone calls for heat, etc.  I'm sure the boiler is not being used in the most efficient way possible.

I see Tekmar makes thermostats (like the 544) that can all synchronize with each other so the on times are simultaneous.  Am I correct in thinking that would be a more efficient way to go?  Could a smart zone controller be used with conventional thermostats to force synchronization?  This system (at least the air handlers) is also used for A/C.

Thanks,

Keith

Comments

• will smith_4
    will smith_4 Member Posts: 259
    Options
    Forced synchronization

KK-

It seems to me that if you are looking to energize all circuits at once, you are essentially abandoning the multi-zone concept and going with a single input strategy. That might lead to overheating some zones.
  • kk_2
    kk_2 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Still multi-zone

I've been away from the board - sorry for the very late reply.

It would still be multi-zone.  If a zone didn't need heat it wouldn't energize, and zones that did energize could shut off when they were satisfied.  The only difference would be the (potential) on-times would be in sync.

I see Tekmar has a series of thermostats that can synchronize with each other like this.  I'd hate to spend the money on 3 or 4 of the expensive Tekmar thermostats and go through the trouble of possibly rewiring all of the thermostats (I think extra wires are required for the communications link) and then find out it really didn't make much difference.  I wish I could find some literature somewhere that addresses this.
  • 1sttimeposter
    1sttimeposter Member Posts: 39
    Options
    Similar thinking..

I have a similar concern in this same subject.

Originally, for seek of control and efficiency, we have 7 zones in our 2700sq ft 2-storey house.

However, while each zone does not short cycle, these different 7 zones tend to call for heat one after another which makes the boiler on/off all the time.

I combine some zones together down to 3 zones now. And almost want to make it into one big one now. Zoning would be good if we can shut some down in a longer duration of period, but we occupy the whole house pretty much.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Keep it Simple

Why not just add a Honeywell Aquatrol to this. If those therms have red link they already can communicate with it..It will do zone sync, control DHW and provide outdoor reset to the boiler. There are many options for this control.

http://www.forwardthinking.honeywell.com/products/water/aquatrol/aquatrol_feature.html
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • 1sttimeposter
    Options
    zone syn. on Aquatrol

Interesting, Chris!

I couldn't find any info. about zone syn. on this gadget. Where can I read up on this?
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Install Manual

Under references click on install and you will find a Aquatrol selection tool and the manuals.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    Options
    zone sync is awesome

and we love that feature of the tekmarnet 4 product line. it is good for efficiency and heat source lifespan.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • 1sttimeposter
    Options
    zone syn.

Thanks a lot, Chris!

We got the manual downloaded and have been browsing on this product online, but never know how zone syn works and how it is zone.

Will continue to see where we can get the info/
This discussion has been closed.