Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

anode question

Options
I wanted to check this out a few years ago, but today was the day.  With the amount of crud on this thing, does it still work?  I scraped off what I could and put it back in, but is this normal?  And since it is still mostly still there, do I need to replace it, or what?  I suppose that most folks don't even look at anodes ever, but I did.  It's set to 140 degrees, tempered down to 120.

I appreciate any and all points of view.

Thanks,

Larry

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Replace It

The cost of an annode rod is very little compared to the cost of labor for replacing a warranty tank or a tank that needs to be replaced because it's protection (annode rod) is in question.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Anode Rod

Hey Larry, it looks like your anode rod is Passivated, meaning there looks like there is a good amount of calcium carbonate coating on the rod, which might prevent further corrosion of the sacrificial metal. The rod might look ok but it might not be protecting the tank, you can test the rod for passivation by bending the rod, if scale flakes off the bend, the rod has passivated. By the way this info is from a great book I have been reading called The Water Heater Workbook, check it out in the book store
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,293
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Anodes

Hello:  I'll guess that you have an aluminum anode there.  The quantity of white goo on the rod is telling.  If you have a look at the top of the rod and find it flat, that's another clue that it's aluminum.  Magnesium is the other main anode metal and usually there is a welded bump in the middle of the hex head.  Also, aluminum is soft and bends easily.  Magnesium is springy.

I don't much like aluminum in the water so would replace it with magnesium if needed.  I've never seen aluminum pills at the health food store  :~)

Yours,  Larry
  • Larry (from OSHA)
    Larry (from OSHA) Member Posts: 717
    Options
    thanks

I've replaced the crusty aluminum anode with a nice new magnesium one and the next time I flush the tank, I don't expect to see the milky looking water that has usually been present.  The old anode was five years old and I hope to get a similar life out of the new one.

Thanks for everyone's input and help.

Larry
This discussion has been closed.