Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thank you, welcome to fall, and a turn up question...

Options
4Barrel
4Barrel Member Posts: 125
Hi everyone - I logged off or the summer, and m back here once again seeking advice on my steam boiler.

But first, a big THANK YOU: Last year at this time I was deep into installation of a new Dunkirk boiler. After many posts, lots of experimentation with new piping venting, and controls, I am pleased to say all went well, and I had a warm winter with happy tenants. AND, my fuel costs dropped 40%! Now, a portion of that savings is connected to lower commodity costs, but still, that's amazing! And I did it myself! But there's no way I could of accomplished that without Dan's books and all the help here. SO, AGAIN, THANK YOU.

Now my first question of the 2010-2011 heating season: How do I best go about turn up? I would like to flush out the old system water, but don't have king/master valves on my mains that will allow me to raise the boiler pressure past operating levels (bypassing vaporstat). Should I close all the rad supply valves? will that be sufficient? and to what pressure would I need to get the boiler to to get a good flush of all the sediment?

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Quick flush

Just give the boiler a regular, no pressure flush. Drain off the old boiler water and drain the wet return. I use a length of 3/8 copper pipe with pvc fittings to attach it to the garden hose and hose down the inside of the boiler through the safety valve port. I fill it and empty it a couple of times and after the final filling, fire up the boiler and heat it until it produces steam to drive off excess oxygen in the new boiler water.

After the flushing it might also be a good time to call a pro and have them check the burner for you.

- Rod
  • 4Barrel
    Options
    q on cleaning appartatus

thanks, rod.

question on the apparatus you describe for flushing: is the point of the length of copper to direct the jet of water at the bottom of the vessel? so that is what you recommending feeding down the safety valve port?

and, thanks, excellent suggestion on the burner!
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Wash Down

Hi- On my boiler the safety/pressure relief valve is ported in the top of the boiler and is a convenient access to the interior of the boiler. I remove the safety valve and use my garden hose with the attachment I made (very "Mickey Mouse"-  length of 3/8 copper tube, compression fitting to PVC female garden hose fitting/shutoff valve ) It creates a bit of turbulence and just allows you to wash out any crud that has settled out in the crannies on the side of the boiler and flush them out  through the  boiler drain. If you have a good garden nozzle on the end of your hose, set it to "jet" it will probably work just as well.  I think I'd just fill and drain your boiler a couple of times and this will probably work fine without messing about removing safety valves etc.

Remember to fire up the burner and boil the new water to drive off the excess oxygen after the final fill.

- Rod
  • 4Barrel
    Options
    got it

i should be able to rig up something similar for my set-up. THANKS
This discussion has been closed.