Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buffer Tank

SolarGuy
SolarGuy Member Posts: 13
<span style="font-size:16pt">I need to add a buffer tank to a condensing boiler system, Viessmann Vitodens 200 (6-24). The boiler feeds a low loss header thru a short loop and the low loss header supply feeds a single coil in a Vienssmann 79 gal tank. (The reason is the other coil in the tank is feed by a solar system). Viessmann in their drawing shows a buffer tank on the boiler return side of the low loss header using injection mixing. In John Siegenthalers book Moderen Hydronic Heating, he shows a buffer in series with the primary loop or in another drawing what would be the system return side of the low loss header (so on the opposite side Viessmann shows it). Since I want the lowest retun temp possible, where is the better location? Maybe I should remove the low loss header and just pipe the boiler right to the coil then to the buffer and back to the boiler? Noy sure which approcah is best. Any thoughts?   Thanks.</span>

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Injection?

I would love to see the diagram as in 20 years I have never, never seen a Viessmann piping diagram that contains injection. Injection to Viessmann is like a necklace of garlic to a vampire.

Vitosol piping diagrams are attached.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    not sure

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm a bit confused by your terminology.

Are you:

1. adding a buffer tank to control boiler cycling?

or

2. Pulling heat out of a solar heated domestic tank to contribute to heating?

or both?
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
This discussion has been closed.