Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

help choosing reliable direct vent gas hot water heating unit

rob712
rob712 Member Posts: 1
Can anyone recommend a gas fired direct vent hot water boiler for a new addition that will use 1 zone hot water loop.  Need about 50,000 BTU.  Looking for high efficiency, but with all the controls on this category of boiler, want to make sure it's reliable.  <strong>Is their any web resource that rates reliability of direct vent gas boilers? </strong> J.D. Powers doesn't rate boilers.  Considering WM UG-80 (modulating), but since their CGI 25 series 1 was discontinued (probably because of excessive noise issues) I'm somewhat concerned about the WM brand.

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    WM UG-80

I am not a contractor, but I have a Weil-McLain Ultra 80 Series 3 boiler. As far as reliability is concerned, it has worked perfectly for me for 13 1/2 months; i.e., as long as I have had it. Which does not prove a lot. I have three zones, one for upstairs (oversized baseboards), one for downstairs (radiant at-grade concrete slab), and indirect fired domestic hot water. Each runs at a different temperature controlled by the boiler control board and an auxiliary relay.

I know Consumer Reports does not rate boilers either.

The 80,000 BTU/hr model will run from 80K down to 16K BTU/ hour, so it should be pretty good for you. My heat load is between 30K and 35K BTU/hr on a day when it is 0F outside, though the design day around here is around 14F. So I wish mine modulated down further.

I know aluminum heat exchangers are controversial, and I wish that were straightened out, because that is what all the Ultra series boilers have. My guess is that it will turn out to be OK, at least for me, because I have checked the pH of the system, and know from the water company what the other significant impurities are. In any case, the heat exchanger is much simpler inside than the stainless steel one I saw posted here; it is the shape of a keyhole with the fire at the top and pins all the way down the inside, almost completely surrounded by water. Whatever that proves. You certainly want it installed by a professional that knows what he is doing and is able to follow directions. Which should not be a big deal, but apparently there are knuckle-draggers who cannot follow directions. That is probably more likely to compromise heat exchangers than the material they are made from.

They are now making the Ultra 3 UE (that probably stands for Ultra Efficiency) model.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Munchkin is a decent boiler

As has been said it is more the installer than the boiler that is the issue. Vitodens Is considered the best and then they go from there. I prefer stainless steel to aluminum. I like cast iron best but thats another post in its own. The controls of the big name boilers are pretty reliable unless they have a recall. Then they tend to stand behind them fairly well. I do not know of a test site for boilers that is none biased.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Nothing wrong with Munchkin,

WM or others, just a matter of personal preference.

Biggest thing is, proper installation, attention to detail, & the homeowners ability to have-it properly serviced annually.

Understand & obey the proper service criteria from any manufacturer and you should have very few problems.  
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    I'd Have to Agree

With Dave. All high eff mod/cons are reliable, some more than others but proper installation is the key. Your choice should be in the contractor you feel gives you the best, product, service and install. Check references. Make sure you ask for references concerning the same product, same type of installation so you get a past customers prospective.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    new boiler

look at triangle tube PS60 60,000 btu input stainless steel heat exchanger vents with pvc pipe and fittings has outdoor reset control do not need to do primary secondary piping are you doing radiant heating in this addition? if using baseboard look at smith environmental the heating edge baseboard can design zone so you can use 100*F to 120*F water temp this way the boiler will always be condensing and giving you the highest efficiency keeping your heating bills low. TT prestige boilers are great!!!
This discussion has been closed.