Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

one pipe steam system

Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to help this old deadhead.  I have three of your heating books that i keep in my desk that have helped me out time and time again.  What I'm needing help with on is a 100 year old house with a modified one pipe steam system.  The return piping is short and needs replaced.  My questions is do i need to put F&T traps at the end of all the drips or do i just pipe it as it is now.  The old returns run under the floor and i want to get them up above the concrete.  My first thought was to put these traps on so I could raise the return line to say about 5 feet above the floor and pitch everything back to the boiler.  I'm not sure about the traps on this kindof system.  Please advise, Thanks

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Thanks.

You'd use F&T traps if you're dripping into a dry return, where there's the chance for steam to enter the return from a radiator. You'd also use the traps if you had an open receiver on a condensate- or boiler-feed pump.

If you're dripping into wet returns, there's no need for the traps.

Make sure you're getting the air out of the system, downstream of the radiators.
    Retired and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.