Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Downward deepend of collector

Simply Rad
Simply Rad Member Posts: 184
I think that is the name Caleffi calls the capped end on the down sloped solar collector manifold.   In a drain back situation what do you do with the potential freeze area.

Jeffrey
Jeffrey Campbell

Comments

• Simply Rad
    I meant downward deadend

Opps

Jeffrey
    Jeffrey Campbell
  • Simply Rad
    I meant downward deadend

Opps

Jeffrey
    Jeffrey Campbell
  • Kevin_in_Denver_2
    Kevin_in_Denver_2 Member Posts: 588
    Plug

You can plug it with a silicone test plug...
    Superinsulated Passive solar house, Buderus in floor backup heat by Mark Eatherton, 3KW grid-tied PV system, various solar thermal experiments
  • Simply Rad
    Silicone test plug

Kevin

Do you have an example of the the product. How do you seal the plug..with RTV sealant?  Is the silicone able to handle the high temps?

Just how my brain works.

Thanks

Jeffrey 
    Jeffrey Campbell
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
    I built one

by using a short piece of 3/4 copper with a cap on it. The cap was a snug fit inside the 1" copper header. I shoved it in to the first riser and soldered it. Then capped the end of the collector header. With a good joint on the inner plug, you could leave the header pipe cap off as a safety, anti freeze feature. I suppose the inner plug could be inserted with red Hi-temp RTV. Make the nipple long enough to seat against the cap on the header.

Dale at Radiant Engineering invented a plug like a mini thermos bottle plug. Insert it inside and expand it. I don't know if he plans on marketing it?

Depending on how steep you pitch the collector, I'm not sure all that much fluid would lie in there between the end and first riser? I don't hear of the DB installers addressing this??

A nice drainback specific collector could solve this "deadend" dilemma :)

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Kevin_in_Denver_2
    Kevin_in_Denver_2 Member Posts: 588
    Rubber expansion plug

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/testing.html

this link shows a photo of an expansion plug. I had to track down silicone "bar stock" and drill a hole in it for the bolt.

Silicone is the only elastomer that can handle the high temps at stagnation (which you can't avoid with controls or anything else.)
    Superinsulated Passive solar house, Buderus in floor backup heat by Mark Eatherton, 3KW grid-tied PV system, various solar thermal experiments
This discussion has been closed.