Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant Heat under exotic woods?

Rob Blair
Rob Blair Member Posts: 227
Anyone had much experience?  Brazilian Cherry, Tiger wood (not the golfer),

Mahogany?  I want to tell the homeowner that it will be fine, would like some backing from completed jobs.

Thanks,

Rob Blair

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    chat with

Don at www.launstein.com They have sold and installed a lot of radiant hardwood applications. Their website has some good testing data.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • mars_6
    mars_6 Member Posts: 107
    Stay away from Brazilian Cherry

I have a floor  that did not do well with B Cherry, I believe that the hard wood floor institute would not recommend this installation, the other woods I have no experience with as a flooring product. Good luck Mars    
    Matt Rossi
  • Dave Yates (GrandPAH)
    Dave Yates (GrandPAH) Member Posts: 281
    woods work well

providing the radiant system was designed properly. Haven't yet met a hardwood species I don't like for a radiant floor. Follow the RPA guidelines & you'll have no issues. We have thousands of square feet of radiant hardwood floors with not one single problem except for the occasional lunk-head puncturing tubing. Our contracts spell out who pays (the GC or owner) when tubing is damaged by other trades because they control the money-flow and can divert funds from the responsible party.

The secret to success is in the design and control. I've seen and dealt with damaged hardwood floors when the installers ignored sensible guidelines while striving to be cheapest to win the bid. Hi-temps and hardwood-hi-moisture-content don't play nice.
  • mjcromp
    mjcromp Member Posts: 57
    It's all in the stat!

I personally use Upinor 501S stats to monitor floor temps and set a max to make sure the floors don't look like like a scaled down version of surf waves. Another good aspect of the setpoint stat is that you can maintain a constant floor temp which customers love. Is usually a quick upsell in a house installed by someone else!
    Too bad common sense isn't very common.
  • SpeyFitter
    SpeyFitter Member Posts: 422
    Whoops

Whoops - delete, thought you said EROTIC woods.
    Class 'A' Gas Fitter - Certified Hydronic Systems Designer - Journeyman Plumber
This discussion has been closed.