Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Solar Baseboard

Bestway_Dave
Bestway_Dave Member Posts: 4
I have had good success tying solar with baseboard in with high efficiency boiler backups. This works when using outdoor reset controls and baseboard design that can meet heat loss at lower temps. I have only heard bad things about intergrating solar with high temp baseboard and high temp boiler backup. Has anyone had good success with this?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    if you can get

enough BTUs to the room with the solar temperatures, go for it.

I saw a nice convector add on recently. Jaja is building a row of small quiet "muffin" fans to fit inside their panel radiators. They sit right on the fins. This allows a much better output, allowing them to run with supply temperatures as low as 90F.

The "group" of fans is controlled by a small circuit board the provided temperature control and indoor reset function! Should be a great match for solar hydronics. I believe the assembly is in the listing agencies as we speak. I'll dig up some pictures.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Kevin_in_Denver_2
    Kevin_in_Denver_2 Member Posts: 588
    edited May 2010
    Solar Baseboard Deja Vu

Here's how we did it in 1982, sort of a vacuum cleaner attachment for a shaded pole fan. It was cheaper at the time than a row of muffin fans (which sound great).

Also attached is a discussion and calculations showing the increased btuh output.
    Superinsulated Passive solar house, Buderus in floor backup heat by Mark Eatherton, 3KW grid-tied PV system, various solar thermal experiments
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    how much electricity do you use?

I am often concerned about saving on one bill and costing on another.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    up to 300% output increase

the fans run on 12V dc, nice for off griders. The boost will be available for various types of rads. 25- 75W at full speed, I think.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.