Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Arrrgggh another combustion chamber.

Hollis
Hollis Member Posts: 105
This is the 4th combustion chamber in my System 2000 in about a dozen years,..I can't get an answer why they have to be replaced (two oil companies during this time) I understand that they are pretty fragile and can be messed up by aggressive cleaning.

Not all that happy with this latest oil service company, they went home this winter at the end of their day and there was no heat all night on a cold winter's day.

I also found a (what seems circuit board card?.) for the system 2000 on the floor scuffed around on the concrete.  I'm not sure if this was part of the System 2000 electronics or some type of a test circuit board,.. Is there a flat removable board in the the  electronic control?  Anyway it looked pretty beat up due to mishandling. I hope its not back in the unit as I doubt its in good shape now. Some pretty sloppy wiring left too. I think I will make some changes next season.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    How

How are they setting up the burner?The CO2 parameters are important!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    no surprise here

Let's just say they aren't on my short list of boilers for that and other reasons.

The board sounds like the temporary service card techs carry for getting things working until a new manager can be had. Maybe someone dropped and it fell out of sight under the boiler?    

• Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
    Any pics?

A picture (or two) is worth a thousand (or 2000) words.

Maybe someone can give feedback after seeing the problems and the circuit board.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    As Bob said

The CO2 reading is huge with these units. I think they want the unit adjusted for 10% CO2, no more. The higher the CO2 the hotter the flame, which breaks down the chamber. You'd have to check with EK to confirm that 10% is the right number.
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    The chamber doesn't need....

... to be touched during service if a modicum of care is taken.  The HX can be thoroughly cleaned without removing it.  I installed my first one in 1989 right after Popular Science did an article on them.  I have serviced it every year since and it still has the original chamber.  Not sure why you have gone through 4 in a lot less time. 
    heatboy

The Radiant Whisperer

"The laws of physics will outweigh the laws of ecomomics every time."
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    sounds like

bulls in a china closet. I've been installing them since 84, and only had to replace a few chambers. The early models, pre digital manager,  needed a dual aquastat installed to stop condensation. That can contribute. The loss of, or incorrect positioning of the pork chop will also create chamber problems. The CO is still 13% highest reading, with ofcourse zero smoke. Sounds like they used the card to test run it. The boilers don't come with them, and the digital manager doesn't need the card at all to override the manager. You need some qualified techs to say the least. It's servicing like you are getting that gives that boiler a bad rap. 
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    What model?

I might add that the Frontier model I can see that happening as the front hinges. Something I personally didn't like when it first came out. I won't install one of those, but have some that we service
  • Jim Hankinson
    Jim Hankinson Member Posts: 99
    EK chamber

The correct CO2 setting is 10-11% tested at the over fire test port. Some techs feel a need to remove the chamber to remove the last speck of scale from the converter but if you have a rear cleanout boiler that's ill-advised. Most chambers the are replaced are done so for one of 3 reasons: removal of it for cleaning, CO2 set much too high, surface cracks that the tech feels constitutes a failure.
This discussion has been closed.