Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Does It Matter (Piping Strategie)

Options
Rich Davis_2
Rich Davis_2 Member Posts: 117
Nearly have all my BB convectors installed next need to install homerun piping leading to mech area.  It will have 4 zones.  My question does it matter if the convectors in each zone are piped in a continuous loop or can they be piped by Teeing off the supply and return line for the zone and run individual pipes for each convector.  Just curious!

Also your thoughts, I'm thinking of putting in unions at all components of the system that could fail so if there is a problem they could be easily replaced.  Thanks.

Rich Davis

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    edited May 2010
    Options
    It matters...

It actually depends upon design. If you only put enough baseboard in to counter the rooms load, and didn't take into consideration the fact that the water will drop in temperature as it works its way through the baseboard in series, then you will HAVE to run your piping in parallel. Preferrably reverse return, which will chew up about 3 times as much pipe as a simple series circuit.

What/how did you design it to work?

Regarding unions, I am not a real big fan of them because the consumer sees them as being "velcro", and take it upon themselves to replace certain components that they are really not qualified to do. The code requires them, but after I have a conversation with the AHJ, they will usually look the other way. Have only had one hard nose inspector force me to put in unions on a boiler.

My thought is, if you don't know how to cut and solder or thread pipe, maybe you shouldn't be working on the system. Unions invite trouble.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• A suggestion...

Instead of running four sets of piping for 4 zones, why not run a single loop and install Thermostatic valves at each convector.  This will save alot of piping, give you room by room temperature control, eliminate 3 pumps, relays, etc, and the related thermostats and wiring.  You need to run either a supply and return and tee off for each, or run a single pipe using divertor tees for this set up.  If just doing zones, you can run a continuous loop, as long as is doesn't have too much baseboard on it or is too long.

• A suggestion...

Instead of running four sets of piping for 4 zones, why not run a single loop and install Thermostatic valves at each convector.  This will save alot of piping, give you room by room temperature control, eliminate 3 pumps, relays, etc, and the related thermostats and wiring.  You need to run either a supply and return and tee off for each, or run a single pipe using divertor tees for this set up.  If just doing zones, you can run a continuous loop, as long as is doesn't have too much baseboard on it or is too long.

This discussion has been closed.