Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

John Siegenthaler in Denver, CO 2/19/10

Radman
Radman Member Posts: 75
Hey Wallies,

I checked w/ Dan to make sure this was OK. 

John Siegenthaler will be giving a workshop for COSEIA, Colorado Solar Energy Industries Associaton at our annual meeting and conference this February 19, from 8:30 - 5:30.   The workshop is titled "State of the art hydronic design for the solar thermal professional"

I encourage everyone to get involved either in state or otherwise.

Mark Eatherton and Hot Rod Rohr will be attending and also sitting on a panel discussion on solar thermal.   This will be a great event.

Please visit <a href="http://www.coseia.org">[url=http://www.coseia.org]www.coseia.org</a> to register for the workshop.

Thanks to everyone for such great posts and community.

PS, Happy Birthday Dan!
"If it was easy, they would have called it PV."

Comments

• Simply Rad
    Simply Rad Member Posts: 184
    Leave the tequilla at home!

We need to pay attention to this one.  That's for sure.  Its going to be a great time that is for sure.  See ya there

Jeffrey
    Jeffrey Campbell
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    The schedule...

Attached.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Kevin_in_Denver_2
    Kevin_in_Denver_2 Member Posts: 588
    Siggy

bump
    Superinsulated Passive solar house, Buderus in floor backup heat by Mark Eatherton, 3KW grid-tied PV system, various solar thermal experiments
  • Mark Eatherton
    GREAT show...

Siggys presentation was excellent as usual.

Great seeing all my old friends. Too many to name individually.

Made lots of new friends in the process :-)

Ted Lowe and myself were there promoting the RPA. Hopefully will get lots of new members moving both ways!

Many thanks to Bo for making it all happen. you're going to take this organization a long way towards being more professional as it pertains to solar thermal.

I look forward to working with you in the future.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Karl_Northwind
    Karl_Northwind Member Posts: 139
    show

For those of us that weren't able to make it, How many of the people there (presenting or attending) were people whose primary business was solar thermal? 

Most solar thermal installers have a lot to learn from the hydronics industry, but I think there are (for several reasons)  important elements of the ST industry and technology that get left by the wayside by the heating industry. 

Can you give us a few edited highlights?

Karl
  • Kevin_in_Denver_2
    Kevin_in_Denver_2 Member Posts: 588
    attendance

Roughly 200 for the solar thermal folks.   Another 200 PV folks talking about the "easy stuff"

I came away with this impression:  solar thermal is just a little too expensive and a little too complicated.  My pet peeves are freeze protection strategies and heat dump strategies.  Let's say if you have to do both, you've just added four figures to the retail cost without adding even one BTU of performance.

That explains to trend toward drainback, which takes care of both without extra cost or performance penalty.
    Superinsulated Passive solar house, Buderus in floor backup heat by Mark Eatherton, 3KW grid-tied PV system, various solar thermal experiments
  • Simply Rad
    Simply Rad Member Posts: 184
    Huge thanks to CoSEIA and Siggy

As usual Siggy put on a great presentation.  He brought together a lot of great minds and had a lot of new ideas.  I thought the best part of the presentation was the fact that he did not talk specifically about solar thermal till the end.  He went over the basic with a "state of the art" twist.  My thoughts exactly...you must get the basic system right before you can add the alternatives.  Siggy stressed  that when using GSHP and solar thermal you should design your distribution system around 120F max temp.  I say why not design all hydronic systems around 120F max.  The system then is as efficient as it can be, supplied from a fossil fuels.  Then look at alternative.  Get the conventional systems right then look at alternatives. 

He talked about hydronic separators, differential pressure pumps, TRV controls, buffer tanks and many new European ideas that really got everyone thinking. Good stuff!

Great to meet and put a face to you Kevin_in_Denver, also good to see Hot Rod again.

Inspiration to all

Jeffrey
    Jeffrey Campbell
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Not enough

time to catch up with everyone. Plenty of great minds in that room.

I really enjoyed meeting Kevin. It a lot easier to communicate via the www after meeting in person.

There really is no substitute for a live gathering. Hint ,hint time for a AE (alternate energy) Wethead meet.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • mcduck2112
    mcduck2112 Member Posts: 1
    Are you the John Siegenthaler I knew?

Trying to get in touch with Mr. John Siegenthaler that went to CSCS and graduated 1990.

Thanks.

Matt
  • Mark Eatherton
    Wrong Siggy?

This Siegenthaler went to Rennselar Polytechnic University.

ME
This discussion has been closed.