Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pex and Glycol

Robert O'Brien
Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
Doing a job with a  hydroair-handler in unheated space. How do pex joining systems,Viega in particular handle glycol?
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    We

did one pew was ok ,but had problems with the pro press fittings
  • Viega is a Godsend

I wouldn't be without it. I am fair with a torch, but never a leak with Viega. As you know, glycol is hard to keep in a system. Viega Pro-press PEX or Copper is a no-brainer.

I use it on all my hydronic and plumbing systems (regardless of pipe).
  • EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    Viega

Have used Viega as a mainstay for years.  High/low temp, glycol almost always (Minnesota).  No problems.  Great products, tools, training and service.
    "If you don't like change, your going to like irrelevance even less"
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Viega

since I've been using it for 6 years or so, has been my PEX of choice for high temp (Fostapex). Wouldn't use anything but PAP for high temp. Have yet to see a fitting leak in any form, glycol or no.

I do tons of hydro jobs. First Products/First Company sells a freezestat that plugs right into the board of their air handlers to turn on pump below 37 degrees. If you are doing somebody elses air handler, I have used the freezestat, or a tekmar setpoint contol to tie into a furnace fan center relay-down at the boiler, to piggyback the pump for that loop. 15 years ago I cooked up a schematic for incorporating time delays and boiler relay isolation into air handlers posing as hydro air handlers-back then, even First Co. had to be field engineered to do hydroair. Let me know if I can help.

Glycol a must?I haven't glycolled an attic system system in probably 10 years. Of course, power interruption is a possibility, but rare, and a lot of my clients have standby generators. The nightmare headache of glycol upkeep and potential fitting destruction is always laid out for the client at startup so they can make the decision.
This discussion has been closed.