Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Problems with new outdoor fuel tank?

HeavyHauler
HeavyHauler Member Posts: 9
I bought my starter home earlier this month, a bi-level with an oil-fired steel boiler.  The 500-gallon underground oil tank made me nervous, though, so we removed it.  Thinking that it'd be great to buy oil at a discount when purchasing bigger volumes of heating oil, I decided to buy a 500-gallon above-ground oil tank. But now a local contracting firm is telling me I made a bad decision because of the complication of low temperatures gelling the fuel and -- in the summer months -- the cool mass creating condensate within the tank. 

So . . . what if I'd make a "hut" around the tank, like a garden shed lean-to in back, built against the outdoor wall of the home just behind the mechanical room with a roof and insulated walls?  Dad thinks I could place a bunch of radiant tubing in the floor with tempered water using a three-way mixing valve, with the aim of keeping the insulated shed at 35 or 40 degrees. 

All this apposed to placing a 275 gal. in the garage, since it's a bi-level without a basement.  I bought the new 500 gal. tank really cheap and can most likey sell it for around the same amount of money.

Any ideas?

Thanks!  Dan Vastyan

Comments

• Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
    Put it in the garage

Put the 500 gal tank inside the garage.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    oil tank

You don't have that much more storage capacity with the 500 gallon tank that will give you anymore of a discounted price than the 275. If it was a 1000 or larger, than you would see the savings. Personally I would install it in the garage, lally columns to protect it from being hit by cars, etc, and add treatments in the cold weather. Above ground in the summer months, it won't condensate being out of the sun and weather, and will eventually be at air temps. The 500 gallon tank will take up too much space to make it feasible. Outside tanks fail alot sooner, and are more prone to problems, not to mention, depending on your location, containment will be required. Best of luck on your new home
  • HeavyHauler
    HeavyHauler Member Posts: 9
    Thank you

Thanks all. 
  • Wayne_16
    Wayne_16 Member Posts: 130
    To prevent condensation

The best thing to prevent condenstation in storage tanks, is to keep the tank full of fuel. Less surface area for moisture to collect on.  Slope the tank to prevent water from entering the fuel stream, and have a way to pump out the water when needed.

Minnesota Wayne
This discussion has been closed.