Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Amtrols not so "smart" control

I have a client with a Amtrol 41 gal indirect equipped with a Smart control. We went through 2 controls in 2 years, at $200 a pop for the part this is getting ridiculous! Can I substitute a low cost thermostat for this control? Any suggestions on specific items? Thanks

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    get rid of it

and use the retro-fit control from Amtrol. Old style aquastat used on the "Z" models. I have a mountain of failed Smart controls. The first generation of them lasted, as they "revised", they lasted a year or two if you were lucky. Check into the retro, and be done with it
  • AntnyC
    AntnyC Member Posts: 11

I thought of that, but the smart control has a thermistor thats shoved way up inside the tank while the old type dial control comes with a bulb/ capillary tube thermostat with only a short section of tubing. Do you think it will work effeciently sensing the temp from the bottom of the tank? Thanks for the feedback
  • billtwocase
    adjustable

They are both adjustable. If you notice, there are red and blue marks on the lead for the smart control. You should never bottom out either control sensors into the well. You will run out of hot water for one. The capilary should be about 3/4 way in there on both. The retro has a compression type fitting to keep the insertion depth from changing, They come with instructions also
  • AntnyC
    AntnyC Member Posts: 11
    I"ll check it out

Thanks bill2.
  • billtwocase
    anytime

good luck Antny
  • BoilerGuy
    BoilerGuy Member Posts: 15
    I will be doing the same

I have one that just cooked the 4th SMART control in 7 years, Good to find out I can go back to the old stat
  • billtwocase
    I can

get you guys the part # if that'll help. Not that much $$$, and the old aquastat has more than proven it's longevity .My Amtrol in my own house is 25 years old with no problems. Original coil and control. Let me know if I can help with the part #.
This discussion has been closed.