Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Phoenix Evolution

Steve_210
Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
has anybody used this unit with solar. I have read through all the paperwork and am considering using this on my house. We have been in the business for over 25 years but have not done any solar work.

Comments

• Royboy
    Royboy Member Posts: 223
    edited April 2010
    I have

once, so far, with the installation taking place early this past winter. actually just the regular phoenix model - the evolution wasn't out when this was purchased - but the evolution just takes some of the components I added and provides them built-in

the house is heated with a woodstove and a radiant slab, which is charged by a heat exchanger loop off the phoenix.

it seemed a great match for the clients, who are away from the house for extended periods, at which times we turn down the phoenix (it can be set down to 70°) and the solar can do that much more of the maintenance heat in their absence (when there is no DWH load).

I did not use the "solar" model, which has the gas burner up higher in the tank - wanted more solar storage, so did a 2 tank system, with a recirc pump to actively move solar heat from the solar tank to the phoenix whenever the solar tank gets hotter. without that the phoenix wouldn't get any solar heat when they are out of town.

would have considered the "phoenix evolution," if it had been out at the time - it has the pump & HX for heating built-in, rather than something to be added on-site.

I think its a great unit for matching with solar if you have a low temp heating system. allows solar input into both DHW & heat with minimal complication.

only glitch I ran into is that HTP's literature said the phoenix could be set down to 70° and in fact the control would only go to 95°. they sent me a new reprogrammed control module, but my impression is that the default minimum that they are producing is 95° - whereas their literature says it 70° - and the 70° setting really would optimize solar efficiency if your delivery system can cover the house heat at that temp.

heat portion is to the right of the phoenix. potable to the left. the potable's a bit unclear to figure out visually as the recirc to the solar tank is in there and the solar loop pump & drain are in the picture, too, with the solar tank just above this on the second floor.
  • Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
    thank you

so much for the detailed response and the pictures.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Solar Phoenix

I have 2 seasons on mine. I used a Taco Radiant Mixing HX to get the radiant load off of the tank.

It is very quiet running, the 80 gallon capacity with the modulation really handles short cycling. Mine is the 130K, 80 gallon and vents with 2" PVC which is another nice feature.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Theealchemist
    Theealchemist Member Posts: 59
    Phoenix Evolution In Our Showroom

We have one in our showroom.  Nice unit!  One step beyond the Phoenix and quite a small footprint.  Solar Pump station and venting of Boilers still to happen,  we're busy!
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Great looking show room.

Nice show room. Tim
  • Theealchemist
    Theealchemist Member Posts: 59
    Thanks Tim!

Appreciate the kind words.  Fun sitting next to our own Mechanical room  lisitening to her purr throughout the day.....
This discussion has been closed.