Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

zone valves

gentlemen,

need to know if there are solenoid type zone valves or the ones you usually use. seams like they dont last that long!?! [ a typical honeywell, white rogers or whomever  zone valve with a big head on top.]

have found some wirsbo uponor valves on the net tonite but dont know where to get. A3010525-3/4 inch and A3010526- inch. the cv is 7 on the i inch. i have an 1 1/4 zone that will be 175,000 BTU on a new presstige. does that mean i wont have enough flow? i dont know how many gallons you get with 1 1/4? can you give me a  design hand?

thanks

Bob @ Bob's heating

march 31 2010

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    edited March 2010
    Typically.

1 1/4 is good for 14 gpm, which is about 140,000 BTUH.

The CV rating is how many gpm you need to pass through a fitting to cause a 1 psi pressure drop.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Pipe Sizing

You need 1-1/2" pipe to move that many btu's on a 20 degree delta-t. You can only push 15gpm through 1-1/4" pipe. As for zone valves look at Caleffi they make really nice valves. Why such a high output on 1 zone? Here is a little chart that may be nice to keep around
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • robert borders
    robert borders Member Posts: 48
    thank you for your input to a sheet metal guy trying to be wet

I will keep that chart close to me as it is very good info! [flow rates thru boilers and pipe sizes]

I am going to use a Alpha grundfos pump which will be helpfull.

The home is a 1960's, 2500 sq ft ranch brick. the original boiler was 215 K BTU in and 168K BTU out. i put in basically the Btu of what they had. Shame on me. On a forced air, i would have cut it way back. we are also adding a 40 gallon "smart" DHW tank.

i have a new 2500 sq ft ranch that is 2 X 6 wood of which i have only an Ultra 105 BTU boiler.

anyhow, i want to make this brain fart work as best as possible.

looks like the tubing would have told me the story, now reading the flow rate chart which has only 150 K BTU on 1 1/4 pipe!! at the  very least, need to get an 1 1/4 zone valve with a higher CV for now.

probably could have gotten by easily on 125 K BTU!?! or less.

thanks

Bob- Bob's heating
  • robert borders
    robert borders Member Posts: 48
    thank you for your input to a sheet metal guy trying to be wet

I will keep that chart close to me as it is very good info! [flow rates thru boilers and pipe sizes]

I am going to use a Alpha grundfos pump which will be helpfull.

The home is a 1960's, 2500 sq ft ranch brick. the original boiler was 215 K BTU in and 168K BTU out. i put in basically the Btu of what they had. Shame on me. On a forced air, i would have cut it way back. we are also adding a 40 gallon "smart" DHW tank.

i have a new 2500 sq ft ranch that is 2 X 6 wood of which i have only an Ultra 105 BTU boiler.

anyhow, i want to make this brain fart work as best as possible.

looks like the tubing would have told me the story, now reading the flow rate chart which has only 150 K BTU on 1 1/4 pipe!! at the  very least, need to get an 1 1/4 zone valve with a higher CV for now.

probably could have gotten by easily on 125 K BTU!?! or less.

thanks

Bob- Bob's heating
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited March 2010
    What are the emitters?

You still may be alright with 1-1/4. I believe you can limit modulation on the Prestige. Do a heat loss. Here' some info on zoning with the Caleffi Zone valves with specs on the valves at the end.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
This discussion has been closed.