Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Chimney Question

Options
Roland_18
Roland_18 Member Posts: 147
With all the lousy weather here in the east, I've been getting rather a lot of water running out of the chimney clean-out door. The crud that is being washed down is pretty gross and a real pain to clean up. As the chimney is not being used for it's original purpose (my boiler vents out the side of the house) can I close it off from the elements? Does it still  perform some mysterious function even though it's not venting anything?

Thanks, Roland

Comments

• djthx
    djthx Member Posts: 52
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Leaking Chimney Door

In early March, I woke up to a partially flooded basement.  Even though I replaced my boiler in January (along with new near-boiler piping), I did not replace the return line.  And so I initially thought it was the steam return line sprunk a leak.  I turned out to be the chimney cleanout door.  Even though my chimney is capped, the wind driven rain was soaking my chimney and basement. 

In your case, since the chimney is no longer being used, I would simply seal it at the top, and give it good cleaning and insulating at the bottom. 
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options
    But

The chimney has, or should have, a liner. Whether it is terra cotta or metal. If the bricks are in bad shape it could be coming through the joints and coming down the outside of the liner. Sealing the top might work, but maybe not. If in doubt call a chimney pro (get recommendations, lots of bad ones out there).
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Normal Problem.....

....with weather like this and see this all the time .... Most likely the water is puddling around the base of the chimney and working it's way into the clean out base which I assume is below grade in your cellar.... The grade of the ground around the house should be pitched away from the house . Sealing the chimney would not prevent the seepage , grading will ..
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
This discussion has been closed.