Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gauge: fuel oil used

Luv'nsteam
Luv'nsteam Member Posts: 278
In an effort to have as accurate data as possible (to truly know what changes saved or cost me fuel) I would like to add a fuel oil gauge between my tank and burner.  Along with accumulated run time (hour meter) I hope to be able to gather useful information and minimize speculation. 

Does anyone have a suggestion for such a gauge (if one is even made) or does anybody know of a gauge that could safely be used for such a purpose?  Mechanical is preferred.

My main reason for this is that after one or two seasons of use, to gather a base line, I intend to convert my system back into a vacuum system (it was originally a Trane vapor/vacuum system) and want to really know if I have saved any fuel and if so, how much, versus cost of material for the conversion.

Thank you,

Mike

Comments

• Luv'nsteam
    No suggestions

For a flow meter for oil?  I have gotten quotes of up to $500.00, however, many of these will not operate with the low pressure and flow of fuel oil.  If anyone has ever used one or can recommend a fuel oil meter, I would surely appreciate it.

Thank you,

Mike
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    I would

Just use an hour meter and multiply by the firing rate. You'd need the nozzle size and the pump pressure, then look at a chart to see the actual gallons per hour. I wouldn't trust a mechanical gauge to stay free of debris. 
  • Time meter

i agree with Paul. I've had a meter hooked up in parallel with my oil burner motor and it allows to precisely track my fuel consumption down to the tenth of an hour. It has no problems tracking short burner runs at the end of the heating cycles when the boiler fires for about 45 seconds.

They are cheap and reliable.

Bob
  • Luv'nsteam
    Hour meter

I was hoping to use the hour meter and the oil flow meter togther. I did not consider the debris, though. Ok, I will stick with the hour meter. Do either of you have brand recommendations or one to avoid?

Thank you,

Mike
  • Time meter

My meter is branded Quartz, I bought it used on ebay and I think they can be had new for about $27.

Bob
  • Luv'nsteam
    Bobc27

Thank you for this information.  I will have a look for one.

Best regards,

Mike
  • Hour Meter

A couple of people have mentioned that they use this hour meter.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/514606/enm_t1120eb_lcd_hour_meter

They used a electrical wall switch box and switch cover plate and enlarge the switch hole in the cover plate to fit the meter.

- Rod
  • Luv'nsteam
    Cool

Thanks for the technical info, as well as, the website to buy.  Looks like the one I may get.

Thank you,

Mike
  • jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    yep .. that's what I have ..

I have the drillspot one configured as suggested above .. see my system pics in below sig links .. it's at almost 600hrs .. and doing great. 
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • John421
    John421 Member Posts: 1
    T1120EB hour meter

So I got one of this meters and I can't seam to figuer out how to wire in to the burner. Can I get some help?

Thanks
  • Luv'nsteam
    WIre it in

Series with your 120 volt supply to your boiler.  When the burner activates, the current drawn though the supply wire will cause the advancement of the hour meter.  I doubt if it matters which wire you splice the clock into (black or white), so use whatever one is most convenient, unless someone else chimes in with a better reason to use one or the other.  Mine is spliced into the black or 'hot' wire and it works fine.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Mike
This discussion has been closed.