Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Retrofit solar tank

radmix
radmix Member Posts: 194
I would like to know if there is any solar tanks on the market that can be assembled on site. Maybe a tank that comes in several sections. There are many projects that I have looked at that the solar tanks that are spec. for the project will not fit into the mechanical room because of the location in basements or door sizes. I know that I can place many of the tanks in a remote room built off of the structure but that only increases the cost of the project

thanks

rich

Comments

• Karl_Northwind
    Karl_Northwind Member Posts: 139
    flooded tanks only

I think we can assume that this is a non-pressurized tank, if you want pressurized, you'd have to go with multiple smaller tanks.

you can look at STSS (I don't use them and don't have any other info.) but they make tanks of many hundreds of gallons that can be assembled, with an EPDM liner.

american solartechnics has their heatbank system.  (I'll be putting that in my house, even though it's new construction, and I could get a bigger one in.

and Design Tanks makes fibreglass tanks, and has some that can be assembled onsite.  42 or 48" dia, in 24" height sections.  epoxy together.

I haven't had to use any of them before, but expect to be using the american solartechnics tanks often. 

karl
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    oval shaped tanks

I remember seeing some oval tanks at the InterSolar Show, in Munich a few years back. They also send the tanks without the insulation and jacket to allow them to go through doorways.

I think www.haasetank.com has set up some dealers here. You need to be certified to install their "portable" fiberglass tanks.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Kevin_in_Denver_2
    Kevin_in_Denver_2 Member Posts: 588
    edited March 2010
    Bolt-together Fiberglass tanks

These were originally made by Desert Sun Fiberglass in Phoenix.

Good selection, see attached.

Nowadays the most common tank is sheet metal with angle bracing, and an EPDM liner, custom made on site.

Personally, I would prefer sealed tanks to prevent evaporation losses, but they are usually 120 gallons max.   Here's a company with very competitive prices:

http://www.solarheatexchangemanufacturing.com/
    Superinsulated Passive solar house, Buderus in floor backup heat by Mark Eatherton, 3KW grid-tied PV system, various solar thermal experiments
This discussion has been closed.