Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell jumps into the wind business....

Options
Mark Eatherton
Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
<a href="http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4324331.html?page=6">http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4324331.html?page=6</a>

Looks like a good candidate for the windows :-)

ME
It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    I boothed right across

that display. It got a lot of attention, dozens of PR film crews stopped by. Honeywell also had a PV booth at the NAHB show in Vegas.

I think Honeywell is lending their name to that spinner. Someone mentioned it may be a Windtronic to be built in Canada. I heard about 6 grand for the unit, maybe 10 grand installed.

Keep in mind to have an average 10 mph wind you need some really big wind days to offset the no wind days. Siggy has a wind spinner and reminded me about wind "averages" 10mph average is probably not do-able in many areas of the US.

It is a cool looking spinner with the outer case as the stator, so no couplers or transmissions. It's a large unit and will stand out on rooftops.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    Options
    does this one

actually pay back the cost of mfg?

I was pretty sure a recent study slammed all micro-wind as a waste of time.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    depends on who you ask

ask the marketing folks that promote those small spinners and....

A lot depends on the wind at your site, and the cost of your electricity. I suspect a lot are bought based on the "green bling" factor more than actual performance of paybacks.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • CC.Rob
    CC.Rob Member Posts: 130
    edited March 2010
    Options
    an opinion

I'm with NRT.Rob. Asked a local renewables guru about this. The response was an informative rant about how far Hwell had fallen to be signing on to something like this, and that basically it will be an expensive roof ornament. And we live in a very windy place with large turbines built or planned to be built. If it won't pay back here....

Bummer, because if it was really good (or if it does somehow turn out to be good), I'd be all over it.
  • Solarstar
    Solarstar Member Posts: 82
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Honeywell Windtronics

Back in Oct /2009 I had this reply in another group re the Honey well .... All I can say is that Honeywell Must be geting really desparate to do this for

$$$ Money with such a strong reputable background as thev'e had in the past.

Must be a new blurred Vision or something . Stop preaching good power outputs in

low wind , as it is just not there.. This whole thing with sickens me big time and I'm truly appalled by there involvement with  this , . That Honeywell turbine is a case in point; it can't

possibly live up to the hype the maker claims. In fact, the whole concept is

flawed. But loud marketing will get them customers, lots of customers, and they

will be very unhappy customers in the long run. Any honeywell reps out there contact me and I'll gladly call you on my Dime so i can vent

Paul B

Read Paul Gipe analysis here

:http://www.wind-works.org/SmallTurbines/Windtronics760EstimatedGeneration.html
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    I live on a hill side here in western MA

I went to a wind seminar and they said nowhere in my town is there wind averages of 6 mph and we think we are in the hills out here. I also have the priviledge of driving past a wind turbine in Chester, MA at a Granite quarry every time I go up or down the Mass Turnpike and I must say it gets prettier every day.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    edited April 2010
    Options
    need more than av wind speed

wind power sure is tricky.   you really need an on site day to day analysis.

more of a no brainer if you live on a coast, even great lakes area .

but if you are off the grid, tricky, will you get wind when you need it, murphy's law says no!

hard to count on it otherwise.  if you are on grid, a waste of money, more than not you will get lots of power when everyones in bed and all lights are off.

I wanted one, still do, but I will not be able to count on it like solar panels.  I still get charging on cloudy days, more of a trickle charge, but a charge still.

jp
This discussion has been closed.