Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ft and bucket trap operation

Can anyone explain to me how condensate is lifted when the condensate line is higher than the heat emitter. I have a unit heater that has the steam line entering at the top. the condensate comes off the bottom ,goes through the steam trap and then the goes up about 5 feet to the condensate line

Comments

• jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    one big whoosh at a time ...

dan has a very good description of how inverted bucket traps "lift" water in LAOSH on page 162.

which brings me to another question .. which I have been toying with .. can you install a radiator beneath normal waterline in an otherwise 1-pipe system? sure I could run a HW loop from the boiler .. but I'm truly curious as to whether I can add a steam rad beneath WL using inverted bucket traps and such...

thanks
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,104
    condensate lift

The reason the trap has the ablity to lift the condensate up is due to a pressure differental between the supply and the return and the left over steam pressure on the inlet side of the trap ,i cannot remenber the formula for how much pressure is required but i do believe  1 psi will raise or lift condensate 32 inches hope this helps i do not think this would work on a single pipe system ,maybe if there was a wet return but i believe you would be just asking for trouble i persoanlly have never seen it done on a single pipe gravity return but i ould be wrong anybody else have any thoughts peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
This discussion has been closed.